How much boost are you running on stock engine?

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
I'm specifically interested in feedback from 99/01 4V owners with stock internals.

1) How much boost are you running?
2) How many miles have you been running it at that boost?
3) Are you a conservative driver or do you tend to get on it a lot?
4) What octane gas are you running?
5) How many miles did you have at the time of the blower install?

I'm just trying to get a "feel" for how long I should expect my 67,000 mile engine to last on boost before I have to rebuild her.

Thanks!

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
sorry no info...

I'm just curious too. Being a college student, discretionary funds are at a premium, so putting on a blower AND a built motor is pretty much impossible. Details on a successful stock-block system would be fantastic.

Speaking of which, just forged pistons and rods may be possible money-wise, if I did the installation myself. :rollseyes I have a friend who really knows a lot about cars, he tears down his own motors and stuff. Can I just exchange the rods/pistons, or is there more machine work involved and I'm just being an idiot, haha ?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by DanTheCobraMan
I'm specifically interested in feedback from 99/01 4V owners with stock internals.

1) How much boost are you running?
2) How many miles have you been running it at that boost?
3) Are you a conservative driver or do you tend to get on it a lot?
4) What octane gas are you running?
5) How many miles did you have at the time of the blower install?

I'm just trying to get a "feel" for how long I should expect my 67,000 mile engine to last on boost before I have to rebuild her.

Thanks!

Once you pour in some boost with that many miles it's just a matter of time(little time at that) before a ring landing will go. I had about 13k miles on my '98 with the blower when it let a ring landing go at about 67k total miles.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
'97 Cobra w/ 97k
blower has 9000 miles on it
10psi of boost
93 octane (min); 94 with octane boost when I go the track

tips: keep the oil fresh and full. Get a conservative tune. Have a reputable place dyno tune it.

chknhwk

Booyah, you got a little over 50k miles before a ring land when? That's not so bad. What boost were you seeing? Aftercooled at all?
PowerCobra98 - you only went 8k miles?? Was your intake charge cooled at all? Wonder how your boost compares to Booyah's...

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by hwkrcng

PowerCobra98 - you only went 8k miles?? Was your intake charge cooled at all? Wonder how your boost compares to Booyah's...

I've DRIVEN it 8000 miles since I installed the blower. I have absolutely no problems with anything as of yet. Knock on wood.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by hwkrcng
Booyah, you got a little over 50k miles before a ring land when? That's not so bad. What boost were you seeing? Aftercooled at all?

No, I put the blower on at about 53k and the ring landing went at 67k. But I drove the hell out of that thing. I was making between 6 - 8 psi depending on the weather conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread