How many TVS owners are running a 79mm pulley on stock internals?

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I'm running an 82mm pulley currently and typically see 8-9 PSI, slightly above sea level at around 800FT. I keep getting the itch to drop down to a 79mm but I know there's a risk of blowing up on stock internals. But I know there are a few out there that haven't had any issues...yet. How many people have blown up from running a 79mm though with E85?

corepwn

Established Member
I'm running an 82mm pulley currently and typically see 8-9 PSI, slightly above sea level at around 800FT. I keep getting the itch to drop down to a 79mm but I know there's a risk of blowing up on stock internals. But I know there are a few out there that haven't had any issues...yet. How many people have blown up from running a 79mm though with E85?

If you have the fuel to support it there's really not much concern IMO. I did a 75mm on e85 with the stock motor. With a good tune the stock short blocks will take some impressive power put through them.

Biggest concern would be to make sure #1 fuel system enough to support it and #2 make sure your shifts are dialed in first. The limiter with that kind of power is what kills the OPGs.

Remember VMP pushed the stock motor on a 69mm and race gas into the 9s a long time ago (13psi).

mackdog2008

Established Member
I have been running the 79mm pulley since day one, been on E85 and 79mm since November 2014 and blower was installed in October 2014

I run Justin's tune and VMP pump booster and I have over 12k miles on the setup with not a single issue

dabster

Established Member
^^ what did both of you make power wise? seems like 675ish is about the limit if you want it to last as little while on E.

Last edited:

demas

Established Member
I do with 93 octane. So far so good

2014 GT Auto, Sterling Grey.
Mods:
VMP Gen 2: 79mm, ID1000s, VMP 67mm TwinJet TB, VMP BAP
BMR UCA Adj w/ Mount, BMR LCA and BMR Adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Pro-kit springs
Lethal O/R H-Pipe, Borla S-Type GT500 Catback (Resonators delete)
Rolling on 255/35/20 NT555 Front, NT05R 315/35/20 Rear

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I currently am running the BAP, so I suppose the question is if I should upgrade to a real, return-style fuel system with bigger pumps. That's obviously the safer route but I suppose it's still going to come down to the tune and how the fuel looks at higher RPMs.

Corepwn, are you running the BAP or did you upgrade to a real fuel system? Also my car is a manual... so basically just don't hit the limiter, right?

Last edited:

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I doubt I'm close to 700HP on the 82mm. I haven't dynoed it since I went to E85 but my best run previously on 93 was 564/496. I'm probably in the low 600's currently with E85, seeing 8-9PSI boost. I saw 15-16 degrees peak timing on 93 and see 23-24 on E85 for reference.

I'm running the twin 60mm throttle body and stock headers, I'm sure if I had the 67mm and long tubes, and 0 elevation I'd be closer to that 700 on the 82mm.

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
I doubt I'm close to 700HP on the 82mm. I haven't dynoed it since I went to E85 but my best run previously on 93 was 564/496. I'm probably in the low 600's currently with E85, seeing 8-9PSI boost. I saw 15-16 degrees peak timing on 93 and see 23-24 on E85 for reference.

I'm running the twin 60mm throttle body and stock headers, I'm sure if I had the 67mm and long tubes, and 0 elevation I'd be closer to that 700 on the 82mm.

I'm at 675 on an 82. Stock headers and 67mm tb. I'm running the vmp bap but I was leaning out at the very top end so I did not pull all the way to 7k rpm on the dyno.

corepwn

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I currently am running the BAP, so I suppose the question is if I should upgrade to a real, return-style fuel system with bigger pumps. That's obviously the safer route but I suppose it's still going to come down to the tune and how the fuel looks at higher RPMs.

Corepwn, are you running the BAP or did you upgrade to a real fuel system? Also my car is a manual... so basically just don't hit the limiter, right?

I had zero luck with BAPs, fried three different stock pumps before giving up on it.
I run JPC's 1400hp system now, but would definitely recommend Sai Li's setup as well for a huge cost savings and ease of installation.

I'd say avoid the limiter for sure.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I am getting ready to drop a 3 inch pulley on with a BAP and ID1000 injectors with a local tuner doing the work. He is thinking he can get it around 625 to 650 HP and still never run lean. Super excited because E85 around here is not easy to get and if I can go to the track and run pump gas putting down 625 HP that is good enough for me for a daily driver.

dabster

Established Member
Code:
I'm at 675 on an 82. Stock headers and 67mm tb. I'm running the vmp bap but I was leaning out at the very top end so I did not pull all the way to 7k rpm on the dyno.

how many miles at the power? I'm scared to wick it up anymore haha

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I had zero luck with BAPs, fried three different stock pumps before giving up on it.
I run JPC's 1400hp system now, but would definitely recommend Sai Li's setup as well for a huge cost savings and ease of installation.

I'll look into the Sai Li system, it sounds like a good deal.

15PSI

Established Member
I have the VMP stage 3 on a stock bottom end 2012 with a 79mm pulley, running 93 octane though. I run it occasionally on the track and so far no probs at all. 640 or so RWHP too.

15PSI

Established Member
Forgot to mention I have ID1000s and a VMP BAP. Absolutely no where near the limits on the fueling capacity. 2 or 3 years ago Kenne Bell tested stock Coyote pumps and aftermarket pumps (google it). They stated the stock pump on the coyote (in good condition) with a BAP should flow enough for over 750 RWHP.

evil281

Established Member

Fuel system is next on my list. I don't really trust the bap. I was insterested in sai li's kit but to be honest for some reason the install intimidates me which is funny considering I have done every mod to my car myself including OPG. I think it's the lack of detailed instructions.

dabster

Established Member
Forgot to mention I have ID1000s and a VMP BAP. Absolutely no where near the limits on the fueling capacity. 2 or 3 years ago Kenne Bell tested stock Coyote pumps and aftermarket pumps (google it). They stated the stock pump on the coyote (in good condition) with a BAP should flow enough for over 750 RWHP.

700whp max is where most tuners say the BAP/injectors max out at

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
My daily driver pulley is a 79mm. Track is a 75mm. I make 12 lbs of boost with either my modified airbox or the JLT CAI. My car data logged just fine with 56 lb injectors and no BAP. The BAP and JLT were probably a waste of money. OTOH the blower whine certainly does sound good. I run 93 octane with Lucas - 96 octane. Currently at 19* of timing. HP? I have never put it on a dyno. It trapped 105.8 mph in the 1/8 1,500 DA last weekend.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
It's good to hear there are quite a few others out their running the 79mm without any issues.

I was talking to Justin from VMP actually, and he said I'd be safest to go to a return-style fuel system if I wanted to drop down to the 79mm based off of my previous datalogs. From what I saw previously I think I'm fairly close to already having maxed the BAP out, and I actually had issues previously with the 47lb injectors on 93 running out of pressure above 6500RPM.

I think that most likely my stock fuel pump is a little weak compared to others, at least I've heard their output can vary somewhat even though they are rated at the same output. Justin mentioned they're working on a easy to install drop-in returnless system that re-uses all the factory lines so I may just wait to see when that comes out.

Does anyone have any more info on the Sai Li system such as price and difficulty of install?

corepwn

Established Member
It's good to hear there are quite a few others out their running the 79mm without any issues.

I was talking to Justin from VMP actually, and he said I'd be safest to go to a return-style fuel system if I wanted to drop down to the 79mm based off of my previous datalogs. From what I saw previously I think I'm fairly close to already having maxed the BAP out, and I actually had issues previously with the 47lb injectors on 93 running out of pressure above 6500RPM.

I think that most likely my stock fuel pump is a little weak compared to others, at least I've heard their output can vary somewhat even though they are rated at the same output. Justin mentioned they're working on a easy to install drop-in returnless system that re-uses all the factory lines so I may just wait to see when that comes out.

Does anyone have any more info on the Sai Li system such as price and difficulty of install?

Last I heard Sai's system is $950. The install can be done in a few hours. You'll reuse the stock feed line and only run a return.

PM 04compGT

Users who are viewing this thread