How many oil drain plugs and where is the filter?

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Haven't had time to look since its so cold out. Where is the drain plug on the engine? is it on the side or the bottom. one or two?

How is the filter located?

Coming up on 500 miles so I need to get that first one done :beer:
I'm coming from a camaro SS that I knew like the back of my hand (did all my own work on), but haven't worked on a mustang before...the 97 GT I used to own I always took it to a oil change place.

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
The drain pan has only one drain plug on the bottom... I checked all around and that is the only possibility. A Mark viii we have is the same. It is not like the old body stang with the double hump pan with two plugs.

The filter is located right there in plain site near the driver wheel suspension, expect too clean a little oil off here. I noticed that it was a little difficult to loosen at first, but eventually came loose.

The actual oil change took me about 10 minutes, yeah!!!!

The problem I had was lifting the car, but good practice and I have a technique. DO NOT USE a big jack (at first)... most of them will not get underneath the car.

I had two jack stands, a small jack and a large jack. What I did is use the small jack to prop the car up enough to get the adj. jack stands to support car. Then I used the big jack to lift higher to clear my body and adjusted the jack stands... then reverse, reverse!!!

That was that! Hope that helps...

Last edited:

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Yeah, that helps. Thank you.

I have rhino ramps so getting the car up is no problem. Worked fine on my lowered SS.

Guess I have a project this weekend :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
Yeah, that helps. Thank you.

I have rhino ramps so getting the car up is no problem. Worked fine on my lowered SS.

Guess I have a project this weekend :)
I just bought a set of Rhino ramps myself for this very purpose. And a neat flamed creeper, too. Got it on eBay. :)

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Everthing is easy to reach.........just make sure you clean the oil off of your lines when you are done.........enjoy.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
How do you guys stop the rhino ramps from pushing forward when u attempt to drive up onto the front set of ramps? I have 4 ramps, I plan on driving the front of the car up and jacking the back onto the back set of ramps but just curious how u stop the ramps from sliding forward when going up. Thanks :)

NWUCIT

Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
How do you guys stop the rhino ramps from pushing forward when u attempt to drive up onto the front set of ramps? I have 4 ramps, I plan on driving the front of the car up and jacking the back onto the back set of ramps but just curious how u stop the ramps from sliding forward when going up. Thanks :)

I had the same problem...what a pain. Solved by placing the ramps on some scrap rubber backed carpet I had lying around...they don't slide now :)

71stang99

Established Member
I usually place the ramps right where the crack is in my driveway and it works, also watch the out for the post that the filter goes over, on my 99 cobra I was changing the oil and when I was crewing the filter off the post became loose and this is what tightens the oil cooler assembly thus = a leak, something to watch out for.

Users who are viewing this thread