how many of you guys, wish ford put.....

SB 03

Established Member
A cobra emblem in the front grill instead of the pony? I cant remember what year cobra they did that, but think I might replace mine when I get it. This is what happens when your waiting for your cobra, start thinking too much:shrug:

mosconiac

Established Member
I can't understand why Ford put Mustangs in the grille and on the windshield, but put Cobras on the seats and front fenders.

I'm replacing my grill emblem with a Cobra from Performance Parts, Inc. Of note, the first emblem was broken in transit and PPI is replacing it. The emblem could be built a bit more stout IMO.

http://store.yahoo.com/mustangweekly/1994prescobs.html

Mosconiac

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I like the pony on the Cobra. I realize a lot of the Cobra owners like to change it out for the snake (and that's cool)... but I prefer to show off the heritage that the car was born from and is - all Mustang baby! Actually have you ever noticed that on all of the other stangs that the Mustangs grill emblems are "caged" (surrounded by the chrome grill cutout)... only the Cobra shows the Mustang as she was meant to be, uncaged and running free. If I ever did change it out it would be with that chrome-plated bronze cast pony I'm sure you've seen in the MM&FF mag (http://www.stallionmedallion.com).

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Ford never put a Cobra in the grill. 94's were shown in the shop manual as having one, but they never got them.

It always seems like the newer the owner is to a Cobra, the more they want to put snakes everywhere on and in the car. Don't forget it's a SVT Mustang Cobra. Not a SVT Cobra. You already have COBRA stamped in 6 inch high letters, 2 feet wide on the back bumper.. yeesh. Don't overdo it.

The snake looks too small in the grill IMO. I like the open look of the new Cobra vs. the corraled (It's a corral) version on the 99+ GT's.

SB 03

Established Member
I had a 95 cobra heavily modified for 3 years, but sold it to get an 03, so I am not new to the cobra seen. I thought the 96s had the snake emblem, not sure though

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
That comment wasn't about you specifically, just what I've seen in forums and in person over the years. They seem to want so badly for it to not be a Mustang at first, then after a year or two, they lighten up a little.

96's had the honeycomb grill. No other Cobras had that... til they yanked them out for the cooling upgrade :D

Last edited:

ZXnVS

Established Member
At the risk of getting flamed, I'm one of those who would get rid of every Mustang logo if I could. No offense to life-long Mustang fans, but I paid $13,000 more for my Cobra than for a GT, and it bugs me that SVT didn't do more to make the car stand out. People who really know me would agree I'm not vain, but I don't want people thinking, "Oh, look. A V-6 Mustang."

Silver 03 Cobra

I agree with the guys that say it's too small and other reasons. I put one on my 99 and 01 Cobras. Now that I have a silver Cobra I think the horse looks really sharp in the grill and it fills the hole plus the 03 has the larger opening in the lower valence. There are so many Cobra owners doing the snake that having the horse is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I for one am awfully glad that people may mistake my car for a V-6 or a GT. The last thing in the world I am looking to do is to scream "pull me over, I want the attention" to the police.

Plus, it's fun to blow people away who think it's just another Mustang.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
this is my first mustang. actually, my first car... having driven open top jeeps from the time i learned to drive.

When I first decided on this 03 Cobra I thought that I would be king of the road and everyone would know it. But as it turned out, most people don't know the difference between this new cobra and other regular mustangs (or from previous cobras).

I feel like I'm getting challenged at every light from every camaro, honda, suv, etc. It is definatly a sleeper... until the word gets out more about these new cobras. But even a few years down the road I think it's still going to retain it's sleeper status (at least until the long tubes and exhaust mods go on)

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
... I feel like I'm getting challenged at every light from every camaro, honda, suv, etc. ...

Damn I need to move to Phoenix. :) Seems like I can't pay anybody to race me here in Ohio. Alot of ricers, C5s, and LS1s (sorry to put them all in one sentence) suddenly need to turn or become very interested in the scenery when I line up... :rollseyes frankly it sucks. I gotta give the LS1s credit, they are by far the most willing to run of the above group, but even with them its not even 1 in 10.

Ok, on to the topic, I agree with ygohome - I like the "restrained" looks of the Cobra. Too much attention = bad thing.

As for the front emblem. I think not only is the snake too small, but the major axis of the shape is wrong. The horse's major axis is horizontal, and it works well in the horizontally-dominated space. The Cobra is primarily upright, and does not look good in that same space. Thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
I like them both. When I get mine I'll decide on what to do with the Pony. Probably won't replace the pony though. I think the grill is the only place the pony appears on the car.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by Elliotness
I like them both. When I get mine I'll decide on what to do with the Pony. Probably won't replace the pony though. I think the grill is the only place the pony appears on the car.

There's a cool "running horse" decal on the windshield just above the rearview mirror.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by wildosvt
Um thats no decal,It is in the glass.

Hmm, I wonder why the suction cups for my V1 won't stick to it if it's in the glass... ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist the sarcasm. Check again. It's a decal on the inside. Or at least it is on my '03 Cobra.

wildosvt

Established Member
a friend of mine works for henderson glass and said "I hate it that they put the "IN" the glass but it sure does look cool!"No either he has just did a line or something I dont know but I would think he knows....:shrug:

Gotn03coming

Established Member
I say we put up some pics so that we can actually see the difference between the two....

Now obviously getting a stock pic is easy can any of you supply us with the snake up front?

Thanks!

J.

Black Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Ford never put a Cobra in the grill. 94's were shown in the shop manual as having one, but they never got them.

It always seems like the newer the owner is to a Cobra, the more they want to put snakes everywhere on and in the car. Don't forget it's a SVT Mustang Cobra. Not a SVT Cobra. You already have COBRA stamped in 6 inch high letters, 2 feet wide on the back bumper.. yeesh. Don't overdo it.

The snake looks too small in the grill IMO. I like the open look of the new Cobra vs. the corraled (It's a corral) version on the 99+ GT's.

The Mustang Cobra II from the late 70's ALL had cobras in the grill from the factory.
They also had the Cobra's right behind the front tires too.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread