How many of you drive summer tires in..

FVEOH69

Established Member
I am getting ready to buy my summer tires for my f14's. It seems with the sizes im going with 255 and 315's its only ultra high performance tires. I live in PA and I dont drive my car in snow or ice. Right now i have the stock wheels and tires on my car which are all season. First off is there any tires company that makes a tire that big for all season to drive in cold weather? I know its not a good idea to drive when cold temeratures but what do you guys do? I plan on gettin the big brake kit so stock wheels with winter tires wont be an option.. Thanks.:shrug:

'99Ranger

Established Member
I drove my 13 Track Pack car all winter except when there was snow or salt on the ground. The traction sucked but I didn't expect it to be as good as summer weather.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have about 6000 miles on my current tires, summer tires and they barely look worn. I also have driven them in 30 degree weather with okayish traction.

from what I understand depends on the exact tire. One tire I was looking at, the Hankook RS3 I was advised that anything below about 75 degrees and it is like driving on ice.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have driven on summer tires since 04 in Va on my 04 sentra, 04 gto and currently my 5.0. Just be smart and stay out of your powerband. traction and braking distance suck, but it is what it is.

FVEOH69

Established Member
wow yeah its between nittos and toyos. Not so sure i want to take the risk in PA it gets COLD in winter months! hmm thanks for the info and ideas.

JOK3R

Established Member
I drove on Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires (new Hemi Charger) for 2 years and they were complete dogshit in anything but warm to hot weather. I was forced to drive in bad snow once and I went off the road twice and was forced to just park it. Rain was pretty terrible and required slow really slow driving.

Heuristic

Established Member
I live in the Sacramento Valley. It sprinkles 20 days a year, actually rains maybe 15. I run summer tires year round

Lucky_13

Established Member
Check out Michelin's new all-season, the pilot a/s 3...it's been outgripping summer tires in recent tests (including the p zero nero) and apparently has a new compound that works well in low temps

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I been running summer tires on my car for 6000 miles only seen snow once had no choice but to drive amd I haven't had any problems with traction at all mine are the 255 Pirelli stock brembo tires and they look almost brand new still.

specizripn

Established Member
Driving with summer tires on a cold ground is like driving with water on the ground... If you get on it you will get squirrely pretty easily. Just don't drive in snow or ice and be responsible with the throttle and you will be fine.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I drive mine in the snow using stock wheels and all seasons. I have to drive very slow though anything more than a 110-15 deg incline and it won't go up haha

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Just get blizzaks and winter rims

Agree. I've got a summer set of sve drifts and will replace the Pirelli all seasons on the stock wheels with winter tires.

I figure after I sell the Pirellis, the winter tires will be cheaper than my insurance deductible or a winter beater.

Users who are viewing this thread