How many of you agree with this, NHRA shortens track

Do you agree with the NHRA decision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
I agree 100%. That extra 320' is a lot of MPH difference in a Top Fuel car. If it keeps the racers safe until they find some better crash protection for them, and you disagree, your a non-racing moron. Im sure you have never even been 140mph in the 1/4 so really you have no idea what your talking about.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I agree 100%. That extra 320' is a lot of MPH difference in a Top Fuel car. If it keeps the racers safe until they find some better crash protection for them, and you disagree, your a non-racing moron. Im sure you have never even been 140mph in the 1/4 so really you have no idea what your talking about.

there is nothing that will keep anyone safe at those speeds. so now a sport that has been bred around the 1320 since the birth of the internal combustion engine has just gotten its balls chopped off. IMO any driver who does it should know the kind of risk they are taking.

stangin99

Established Member
I agreed. It is what the drivers wanted.

Bingo.

The racers wanted it, end of story.

320 feet at that kind of acceleration is huge. This gives everyone from teams/racers to tracks a chance to make things a little safer.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Will it really make that much of a difference with the same circumstances as Scott's accident or prolong your life for a few more seconds.

JERK!

Banned
The racers/teams wanting it is nothing more than them wanting to save money. Both in fuel and drivetrain costs (and yes, shaving 320 feet off will save them bundles). Their concern over safety has very little to do with it. I'm lucky enough to live 15 minutes away from the Pomona dragway and I go to both the Winternationals and Finals every year. Although the rise in ticket prices and now this will surely reduce my business and I'm positive this decision will reduce thier already dying fanbase.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Agreed. While it may seem like a small difference to most people, that extra 320 feet does do a lot. They gotta do something until they can figure out what needs to be done to insure safety. You guys can say that it is the nature of the sport, but dying isn't part of that.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
apparently its been up in the air for a while now to change it to an 1/8th mile. hopefully, it's a decision that will be overturned in the future. i don't support the 1000ft FWIW

now I'm disappointed but imagine if another driver has a fatal wreck in the next few months. imagine the direction of nhra after that. restrictions, 1/8mile, etc..

safety comes first, tho

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
these guys are trapping 275-279 in the 1/8th...so they will still be very close to 300 at 1000ft

I think it sucks that they are going to 1000'
It will save the teams money because most of the time when an engine pops it's close to the end of the run.

My complaint is that many races have been decided in those last 320'

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
so now its basically about who can launch first and whos motor wont blow.

Usually the last 1/4 of the race was the deciding factor if both cars survived a good launch and the motors didnt blow by the 60ft.

might just as well change it from Drag Racing to "who can survive a launch and 60ft" cause no safety equipment is safe enough for the speeds they run so pretty much they will just keep shortening the track when someone dies.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
The cars will be geared differently, carry less fuel and might even have different aero components, they will still be obtaining 300+mph and I don't see why this is going to make it any more safe. They will still be pushing the envelope to the max in order to win.

Users who are viewing this thread