How many miles before you need to add oil?

Erich

Established Member
Just curious what people see. Indicate if it is the original or a built motor.
I think my motor will need to add after like 2000 miles. It has about 10K on it after rebuild with forged pistons etc.
Currently running 0W30 mobil 1
Erich

F8tlByte

colorchngnSVT
Established Member
It depends on a few thing. Personally I never have to add oil betwenn changes, maybe a half quart to fill it at most. But if it does burn a little its not so bad, I hear that as long as you are not adding more than a quart after about 4000 miles (with synthetic) you will be fine. Esp cause around that point you will be changing it anyway.

DREX01AZ

Established Member
I burn about a quarter quart every 3,000 miles using synthetic 520. 030 would lose more oil than a thicker viscosity. Just top it off..no big deal

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
with your procharger setup, unless you have a catch can im positive your getting a ton of blow-by on both your PCV valve and the passenger side hose that goes to your intake of the blower... Normal for me is around 1 quart for every 2k

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
No sign of oil on the P side line to the blower intake. But yeah, who knows on the pcv side. I think I will be about 1QT/2000 miles
Erich

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
1 quart or so every 3000 miles is considered ok on Mod. motors from Ford. but with a blower, i couldnt tell ya.

JohnsMyName

Established Member
I do a 1/4 qrt every 2-3000 miles with a stock motor at 73,000 now. Its been that way for the past 4 years when it was at 44,000. No big deal it's common.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
1 quart or so every 3000 miles is considered ok on Mod. motors from Ford. but with a blower, i couldnt tell ya.

fwiw, ford considers 1 quart per 1000 miles as ok.

they do that to protect their ass in case someone gets an engine thats a bit looser than the rest.

My blown forged motor with ring gaps that are LARGE goes thorugh maybe 1.5 quarts in 3000 miles.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
fwiw, ford considers 1 quart per 1000 miles as ok.

they do that to protect their ass in case someone gets an engine thats a bit looser than the rest.

My blown forged motor with ring gaps that are LARGE goes thorugh maybe 1.5 quarts in 3000 miles.

it really varies as to who ya talk to when you call tech hotline, and speak with engineers. after you do the whole oil consumption test, they tell ya if its ok or not. on the f-150's, using them for medium to heavy duty use, they have told me 1-2 quarts is normal. we usually tell customers about 1 qt. every oil change is normal, but i have a habit to pull the dipstick before i change the oil (to see how long its been and if its low) and usually all the mod motors are about spot on. 99 up cobras are the only ones i find to be a tick low from the last service, but nothing to be concerned about. i had a 99 cobra once that was using about 1.5 qts. every 3000, hotline said it was normal and leave it be...

Users who are viewing this thread