How many miles before I race it?

kobra01

Established Member
Had an 01 Cobra. After reading this forum I had to get an 03. This car is everything you guys said it was. Man I really like this car.

How many breakin miles should I put on it before I road race it at California Speedway?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I'm putting 500 miles on mine, changing the oil....driving it a little harder till 1000 miles...switching to Synth Oil....then letting it rip.

Buddy of mine's father, who has run races a "Legends" drag car (http://www.rattrapracing.com/) and had had several Boneville land speed records, tells me you really don't have to do that. They tear down and rebuild the engines on ther cars after every race....and there is no "break in" time once it is back together.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I was told the SVT 2003 Cobra was ready to race right off the showroom floor. The engines are supposedly run in for a little bit in a room before being put in the cars.

I drove mine like I stole it right off the lot.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
I would give it at least until the first oil change.

Opinions are like .... well you know but I agree with DD2000GT but will expand on it a little more. Some peoples cars (like mine) got their first oil chance in prep, check with your dealer to find out. As such my first customer oil change was @ 5Kmi. Not everyone will wait that long till their first race. Racing the car the day they bought it has been done without ill effect. IMO 3K-5K mi is a good comprimise and will give your car enough time to settle down. Also it'll give you enough time to learn the car. I waited until I had 4K on the car before my first race but that's just me.

Orange Poison

Established Member
1000 miles, change the oil, then WOOOHOOO!

2nd oil change, 3000 miles

3rd oil change, 5000 miles full synthetic (per SVT's instruction)

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
I drove with varying speeds, rpm's until about 1000, changed the oil and let her rip. :burnout:

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
Drove the car like I was breaking in a race motor. Changed the oil at 500 miles. Took it to the track with 730 miles on it and found that I need more practice on my launch.:rollseyes 2.2s all day at [email protected] mph, I didn't take any of the air out of the tires or remove the spare, had just less than 3/4 of a tank of gas in the car, also. Next time I go to the track I'm going to run 25psi(hot) in the tires, take out the spare and disconnect the boost dump solenoid. I, also have a Densecharger now, so that should help with my times.(Praying for a dry track at Sacramento Raceway on Feb. 1st.)

Trader

Established Member
I did 500 miles, changed the oil,raced with paper tags then put down 372 sae corrected rwhp.

They are meant to be driven hard. ;)

SVTyballz

Established Member
I would wait at least 5 miles............. Oh you already passed that???? Well, then what are you waiting for?!?!?!?!??!

gary

NXCobra

Established Member
By the time I had 100 miles on it, I had 3 races under my belt. Was not use to the car at the time, slapped the rev limiter quite a bit during those races, and did not lose a single one. (01 Corvette, 99 ws6, and a 00 LS1).
5000 miles and now I cant find a good race to save my life. Enjoy it when you can.
Of course I get harassed by rangers, and rice all the time.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Race it, how about beat it, 4 miles at the dealer I hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd, not on perpose but the car rpm moved so damn fast and the tires spun in 1st and 2nd no problem. They test the engine before we get them at WOT when they're build. Don't fear the pedal. Thats what they're made for imo.:burnout:

ChrisFLL

Established Member
SVT owners manual says keep your speed varied for the 1st 1000 miles. These engines are not totally broken in from the factory. Just my 2 cents.

jrh99

Established Member
I varied rpms up to about 4500rpm for the first 500 miles, with short quick bursts to try and seat those pistons. But after that first oil change I couldn't help but let it loose!

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Road race--don't worry about the engine. It's the ring and pinion you need to worry about. Put at least 500 miles on it before going to the track so it doesn't get too hot and score on the road course. Depends on how long they let you run and and what speed.

You can run it hard for short periods of time pretty soon after buying it. Just not sustained 80+ mph for 2 or 3 hours on the highway without taking a chance on the ring and pinion getting too hot. Once it is no longer "green", the gears will run cool enough so that they won't overheat on the highway/track at speed.

Joe Lynch

kobra01

Established Member
Hey guys, thanks for all of the suggestions on breaking in my new ride.

Joe Lynch do you know Danny Garner. He's my cousin and he lives in Midland. He's a car guy and he now teaches auto mechanics at a school there.

Users who are viewing this thread