How many miles are to many?

Rec8898

Established Member
So , Im looking at buying a 2003 cobra. Ok the thing is its got 181,000 miles, but it's a one owner, stock, garage keep, body is in really great condition, and the motor was replace by ford at 85k. He's only asking $11,500
My question is does it have so many miles that I'm going to start having to replace a lot of things? He also said he just replaced the clutch and few other things. For $11k clean title the body almost worth that right?
Thanks

cbr repsol

Established Member
Well this car seems to be lucky since it has another motor...so technically the motor has less than 100k on it. Your just refering to odometer miles? I think its worth it as long as the paint is still pretty nice?also drivers seat may be really worn with that manny a$$ miles?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
that is a ton of miles, a whole lot will likely have to be replaced in the suspension and the trans would also we a worry of mine at that mileage, rear end prob is worn out as well.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I say test drive it. If it drives good and doesnt have any issues then but it man. Things can be replaced thats a given on any car. If it was taken care of and garage kept like you said then id take a chance at it. Pictures of this car?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Is it a diesel Terminator? Damn son that's hella. Are you in a rush to purchase?

Rec8898

Established Member
Carfax showed nothing but the same guy owned it. He said its been garge kept but daily driven and he has a 180 mile round trip commute to work. The paint and body is really nice and it's a convert. Been to the same ford dealership he bought it from for all the services and work on it.

jfsram

Established Member
Well the commute explains it. That will be a much safer bet than a 50,000mile Cobra that's been only pulled out of the garage to be raced, test parts, broken and fixed etc.

Another low mileage car to avoid is short trip cars. That means multiple warm ups, multiple in and outs, stop and go etc. That Cobra you want spent alot of it's life in high gear running at a steady speed on a smooth road. It's relatively younger.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
IMHO, there is is no such thing as too many miles. I would take a well maintained/properly cared for vehicle with 150k over a 10k mile vehicle that was beaten to death and heavily abused. That may just be me, but if the documentation is there and you have it checked out, I wouldn't hesitate. You see stories of vehicles from the 50's approaching 500k or more, and those vehicles didn't quite have the tolerances of today's vehicles (less stuff to go wrong too though). In the end it's up to you so what's the estimated value of the car?

my98stang46

Established Member
There are a couple of guys on here with 300k+ miles on them. They dd them and everything seems to be holding up just fine.

Sapperstang

Established Member
If it checks out go for it. That isn't too many miles. Cars these days can go for many, many more. Like someone else said, if it has been cared for I'd take it over one of those lower mileage ones that has been beat on for every mile.

Rec8898

Established Member
That's why the motor was rebuilt the first time good call! He said the ford place didn't tell him why it lost comp, but the replaced the bottom end. Is this a comman thin with cobras? And when I go to look at it that' one thing I need to look into. Who much does that coast a compression test?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Aside from the leather seat showing signs of having 181k worth of ass in it, I'd say the car looks great based on the handful of pics posted. As others have said, the amount of odometer mileage is only part of the story. If all the paperwork is in order, the dealership can vouch for the maintenance being performed, & you take a test drive and everything seems to be in order, I'd go for it.

Parts that would be worn such as suspension bushings, brake parts, fluids, etc. can easily be replaced.

A reputable shop could perform a compression test with no problem.

Rec8898

Established Member
Thanks for the info u guys are very helpful. I've been wanting to get an 03-04 cobra for year and now that I'm retiring from the Army next week this would be a great car to work on now that I'll have more time on my hands. If this works out I'll have a great 2005 fx4 for sale if anyone looking for a great truck to buy. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread