How low is too low?

erick stangup

Established Member
I am going to buy coilover for my 2011 mustang but how low can i make it before it gets very difficult to drive in the street?

rotarymagic

Established Member
Depends on where you live, but certain spring rates that are geared towards road racing might not benefit you for straight line performance especially with a power adder.

gatty1303

Established Member
Also depends on your wheel and tire set up obviously. I have 20 inch wheels and have my fenders almost rubbing the top of my wheels when I turn, but the underside of my car and the front splitter aren't so low that I can't get around.

gatty1303

Established Member
Ill go no higher than 19s and ill be putting the rtr chin spoiler

Just do some trial and error. That's what it will take unfortunately. Lower the coilovers to what you think looks good, grab a buddy, and go test it out over speed bumps, driveways, and what ever else you would encounter. Have your buddy get out and watch you go over the obstacles to tell you if you will hit. If you want to go lower/higher after that, then do it. That's the beauty of coilovers. If you are worried about go over a dip in the road at speed, and the car bottoming out, just adjust for a stiffer set up so your car doesn't bounce like you would with normal springs.

erick stangup

Established Member
Just do some trial and error. That's what it will take unfortunately. Lower the coilovers to what you think looks good, grab a buddy, and go test it out over speed bumps, driveways, and what ever else you would encounter. Have your buddy get out and watch you go over the obstacles to tell you if you will hit. If you want to go lower/higher after that, then do it. That's the beauty of coilovers. If you are worried about go over a dip in the road at speed, and the car bottoming out, just adjust for a stiffer set up so your car doesn't bounce like you would with normal springs.

good idea thanks for the tips

Users who are viewing this thread