How loud are you're fuel pumps?

cobra-k

Established Member
I just noticed how loud my pumps are today after I got out from ripping around for a while. I run a fore level 1 return style fuel system with dual walbro 255s. They were practically screaming when I was letting the car cool down in the driveway. They do make noise when I first start the car up you can hear them but not as bad as they were after cruising. Something tells me somethings not right here...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running the same pumps and the level 1 return system. Sometimes mine seem quite louder than normal.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I have dual Walbro 465 pumps and they sound almost like stock. I can hear them when I turn the key on before I start the car. I have never heard them while the car is running.

cobra-k

Established Member
I'm running the same pumps and the level 1 return system. Sometimes mine seem quite louder than normal.

yea mine must be a "sometime" thing too iv never heard them screaming like i did last night. i havent took the car out since but i did fire it up again later on yesterday and you can barely hear them... it might be like bigmoose said that once the fuel temps get hot they start screaming some. i'm going to be paying more attention too it.

bdubb how long have you had youre pumps for and how often do you hear them scream is it frequently?

givens, i can hear mine too when i turn the key on they are fairly loud buggers if thats normal for them to be that way? once the cars fired up and hitting normal temps you can hear them faintly as well.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have dual Walbro 465 pumps and they sound almost like stock. I can hear them when I turn the key on before I start the car. I have never heard them while the car is running.

Same here. I have to listen for them as with the chimes and all the other noise that can be going on during the start up procedure you can miss them, I can't hear them when its running and my car is pretty quiet. The car is running the AEM320's in a deadhead setup like Malcolmv8 suggests.

Last edited:

greenflash00

Established Member
+1 on above. I'm running dual 465's in a deadhead setup with no hobb switch so they are both on all the time. I hear them on key on but not while running. My regulator on the other hand squeals like a pig :lol: I've read I should upgrade to a Fore unit to get rid of that.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
givens, i can hear mine too when i turn the key on they are fairly loud buggers if thats normal for them to be that way? once the cars fired up and hitting normal temps you can hear them faintly as well.

It sounds like it maybe indicative of the Walbro 255 pump, I'm not sure since I have no experience with it. My regulator is in the fender to help with fuel temps, I also am running the level 2 kit. If I remember right the only difference is fuel lines, Fuel rails, regulator and fuel filter.

To be honest with you the 465's are quite, and I hear them right before I start the car and even with nothing running its not a sound that I even think about. I was real worried cause I had listened to a few cars that had the tank sumped with an in line pump and they were real loud.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
yea mine must be a "sometime" thing too iv never heard them screaming like i did last night. i havent took the car out since but i did fire it up again later on yesterday and you can barely hear them... it might be like bigmoose said that once the fuel temps get hot they start screaming some. i'm going to be paying more attention too it.

bdubb how long have you had youre pumps for and how often do you hear them scream is it frequently?

I've had my kit on for about 15 months or so. Mine don't get overly loud too often, just once in awhile. It might just be in my head, but they seem louder when warmer weather temps are present.

Users who are viewing this thread