How long would you go?

olympic

Established Member
Highest interval I have on my business fleet is 50k km (31k miles) with a filter change half way. I run Amsoil SS 0w20 in everything and cheap filters (usually Pronto) from Rock Auto. It's a bit of a special case though since these vehicles do 100% highway and can accumulate 50k in a few months. I recently bought a couple Honda Odyssey vans and had to cut the oil change intervals in half because the engines are brutal on the oil.

As for the Cobra I think I've settled on changing the oil every 2 years. The sump holds an entire case of Amsoil Racing 10w30 and I would do less than 5000 miles in those 2 years so I'm sure it's safe.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I use Amsoil SS 5W30 and usually do 6K intervals. Same for my other vehicles though they receive Mobile 1 syn. this last change, I took the amsoil to 10K miles and it looked decent. Not black and nasty or came out like water. but i'll stick to the 6K change. My curiosity is gone now with the long intervals.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
On DI cars, the oil is FILTHY. Absolutely disgusting how it looks when its drained on 10k intervals.

That doesn't mean it's not doing its job. Back when I was in the Army, the vehicles almost never got oil changes. Samples would be sent off for analysis, and if the report came back clean, we'd leave the oil in it. Most times, the oil looked just like tar by the time it was changed. It was usually several years between oil changes; with recycled oil. That was on diesel engines, though, but I doubt gas is any different.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
5k max, and that was for my wifes DD.

Performance cars I do 3k miles. Don't care if I'm changing it too early.

Amsoil for me.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lexus has all their 0w-20 cars at 1 year or 10,000 which ever comes first. The truth? Change it every 5k, especially if you run Pennzoil synthetic. that shit is GARBAGE.

On DI cars, the oil is FILTHY. Absolutely disgusting how it looks when its drained on 10k intervals.

Also, after about 60,000 miles there is noticeable deposits in the oil filter housings.

1 year or 10,000 mile intervals were to satisfy customers on maintenance and fleet managers to get their business. I dont care who says anything about it. 5k max if you care about your engine or are religious with Used Oil Analysis for every extended service interval.

For the record, 0w-20 has the viscosity of water when its hot. I dont trust the shit.

Pennzoil 0W-20 or all Pennzoil synthetics? Their synthetics do well on the oil tests and I've never had anything but positive results with them in my Cobra and 4Runner.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Numerous lexus shops back in the day that were equipped with Pennzoil were found to have had higher instances of sludged engines using 5w-30 Pennzoil.

Seeing higher mileagw 0w-20 cars maa2intained with Pennzoil are showing signs of deposits in the engine, sludgelike material in the oil filter housing, and overall just underwhelming performance.

To be fair, no engines have been destroyed because of their oil so far, but long term i wouldnt want that crap in my engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Numerous lexus shops back in the day that were equipped with Pennzoil were found to have had higher instances of sludged engines using 5w-30 Pennzoil.

Seeing higher mileagw 0w-20 cars maa2intained with Pennzoil are showing signs of deposits in the engine, sludgelike material in the oil filter housing, and overall just underwhelming performance.

To be fair, no engines have been destroyed because of their oil so far, but long term i wouldnt want that crap in my engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I'm not surprised by that, I used to have an ES300 and there are horror stories about Toyota's 1MZ-FE 3.0 and it's sludge problems. There was even a class action lawsuit against Toyota. I highly doubt it was a Pennzoil specific problem, more likely lack of regular oil changes due to negligence combined with an engine design that exacerbated the problems associated with infrequent oil changes.

If you are basing most of your opinion on Pennzoil due to their past reputation, it might be time for you to review their new formulations which have a good reputation. As far as the 0W-20 issue, no engines should have 0W-20 anyway so I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
There were multiple instances of people with spotless dealer service records having sludge issues, and a majority were found to have used or been serviced with Pennzoil. This is all information givwn to us in passing conversatiom with our FTS reps, so no i have no concrete evidence. They've got no reason to lie either so take that for what its worth.

Even beyond that, there are far better oil choices than Pennzoil, synthetic or not. Especially their made witj natural gas "synthetics".

...if its made fron a base hydrocarbon its not a real synthetic.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I go 3,000 miles. Oil and a far cheaper than an engine. I dont believe much i read on the internet. 3,000 miles is proven and that's what ill continue to do. I will go 5k if ever i get a vehicle that takes synthetic .

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The oil in my S3 has been in there for like 15,000 miles now. I'll get around to changing it sometime. It was also due for DSG fluid 10,000 miles ago. Oops. Lol

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I usually change every 5k or 6 months. When I was younger I went 25k miles on an oil change with Castrol high mileage in my 97 Cobra. Oil didn't look to bad when I drained it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
1-1.5 year on my Cobra. I only put 300-500 miles on her yearly.
Explorer, every 7500 miles or 6 months according to dealer, dealer does oil change.
BMW every 7500 miles.

scott_0

Established Member
Ive been using their extended performance synthetic for years, doing once a year oil changes, my vehicles don't see much over 5k mi/yr so it works out for me.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
On our daily drivers I change them at 10k miles, cars are a 2011 civic and 2014 Camry. Either car uses any oil and the oil looks ok when drained. I only use Amsoil SS in all our cars. My truck gets changed every 2 years but I probably only put a couple thousand miles a year on it. As for the Mustang it gets changed once a year, roughly 3k miles.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My beater burns 5 quarts a week. Driven 50k miles in a year and ive never drained oil or changed filter.

Whoa, this is the worst oil burning I've ever heard of. What is the car, how many miles and why do you keep pouring oil into a car that can't be worth more than a couple hundred bucks?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Whoa, this is the worst oil burning I've ever heard of. What is the car, how many miles and why do you keep pouring oil into a car that can't be worth more than a couple hundred bucks?
Its an 01 Prism. Notorious for oil burning problems. I work at a dealership so I get free oil. Looking into another car soon as this one is starting to shut off on me while driving lol. Just rolled 200k.

lastcall190

Established Member
Its an 01 Prism. Notorious for oil burning problems. I work at a dealership so I get free oil. Looking into another car soon as this one is starting to shut off on me while driving lol. Just rolled 200k.

hahahaha 5qts a week is incredible. Just keep the starter permanently engaged so that the car will perpetually start up when it dies. Lemons, meet lemonade.

Users who are viewing this thread