How long will this continue..

DET_SVT02

Established Member
If the new snake has 500hp, whats next 600? I mean you always have to better ur previous best cant wait to see what happens in the next few years. I love it :burnout:

mustangsnoopy

Established Member
one would think so, but that might be the limit for ford. seemingly they cant make any serious hp w/out a supercharger. whats the deal ford? chevy has a 400 and soon a 505 hp engines in the vette and they are naturally aspirated. time to bring back the 428!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
mustangsnoopy said:
seemingly they cant make any serious hp w/out a supercharger. whats the deal ford?

I guess you're forgetting the fact that the Mustang dominates the market in Sales. Ford is in the business of selling cars. GM can't sell enough cars put high hp motors in...such as the f-body.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
mustangsnoopy said:
one would think so, but that might be the limit for ford. seemingly they cant make any serious hp w/out a supercharger. whats the deal ford? chevy has a 400 and soon a 505 hp engines in the vette and they are naturally aspirated. time to bring back the 428!

keep in mind that the new motor you are talking about (505hp assuming you are referring to the zo6) has a compression ration of somewheres around 12:1
so, that motor is tapped out from the factory, that means no nitrous or blower addons. atleast ford can leave some room so play with.

later
brandon

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:
keep in mind that the new motor you are talking about (505hp assuming you are referring to the zo6) has a compression ration of somewheres around 12:1
so, that motor is tapped out from the factory, that means no nitrous or blower addons. atleast ford can leave some room so play with.

later
brandon

Tapped out? Not hardly my friend. It will easily hold a 150 shot. The compression should be lowered for a FI application. I'm not certain on the 12:1 you mentioned. Even still, nitrous won't be a problem.

...and who cares if it is tapped out (it's not) since it'll trap damned near 130mph in bone stock trim.

It is a superior car to the GT500 in every way.

bunk22

Established Member
unit213 said:

The only thing I would say here is how do you know, especially since neither car is out yet. Hell, the GT-500 isn't even close to production yet. I understand one is the ultimate sports car vs the ultimate pony car but regardless, without a direct comparison, who knows? Not that I'm blind loyal, I'm seriously considering going with a new C6 next year over the GT-500, depending on my ability to get the new mustang. Just recently drove a C6 and it rocked.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
unit213 said:
Tapped out? Not hardly my friend. It will easily hold a 150 shot. The compression should be lowered for a FI application. I'm not certain on the 12:1 you mentioned. Even still, nitrous won't be a problem.

...and who cares if it is tapped out (it's not) since it'll trap damned near 130mph in bone stock trim.

As it should be for almost the $30k in price it will command. Not to mention its in a completely different market. Dave

Fourcam330

Established Member
FEARSNO1 said:

later
brandon

First, nitrous LOVES compression. Though you are right about Z06s not being blower friendly with their high static C/R. The 7.0Ls do have ported heads, and Ti con rods OEM, but the cam is still emissions legal so there's definitely power to be had there. It's a great motor, but it doesn't have the bolt on power potential of the GT500 5.4.

jshen

Established Member
Good Times...for now

DET_SVT05 said:
If the new snake has 500hp, whats next 600? I mean you always have to better ur previous best cant wait to see what happens in the next few years. I love it :burnout:

It has been said by many that this is best time in automotive history for us horsepower addicts. As much as I hope to see it continue..I remember what happened in the 70s....gas...insurance...and EPA put muscle cars out. With the Govt pushing for better mileage...and alternative fuel/hybrid cars....I am concerned Big Brother may spoil the party. Even though I had to pay a gas guzzler tax on my cobra...I still get better mileage than ANY SUV and most all pickup trucks......If those gas guzzler taxes were applied to consumer pickups and SUVs...they'd be gone ....Oh well, I digress

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
jshen said:
It has been said by many that this is best time in automotive history for us horsepower addicts. As much as I hope to see it continue..I remember what happened in the 70s....gas...insurance...and EPA put muscle cars out. With the Govt pushing for better mileage...and alternative fuel/hybrid cars....I am concerned Big Brother may spoil the party. Even though I had to pay a gas guzzler tax on my cobra...I still get better mileage than ANY SUV and most all pickup trucks......If those gas guzzler taxes were applied to consumer pickups and SUVs...they'd be gone ....Oh well, I digress
That's true that this is bound to come to an end soon. Do you remember who was the one who initiated the HP wars to come to an end, and who was at the forefront leading that battle against fast cars back then? Ralph Nader!!! He began preaching against them in 1965 and kept the pressure on until the 70's if my memmory serves me right. I was just a little kid then, but I've read about those days, and how they came to an end.

BTW, can anyone tell me what the MPG cut-off rating is for the "gas guzzler" tax? Isn't that determined in cars by what the gas mileage rating of the new car in question is?

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
mustangsnoopy said:
seemingly they cant make any serious hp w/out a supercharger. whats the deal ford? chevy has a 400 and soon a 505 hp engines in the vette and they are naturally aspirated. time to bring back the 428!
I've always been a big fan of bigger displacement as you're suggesting. The bigger engines sound better too given the same exhuast systems. They just have more growl to the exhaust note than smaller engines do. I'm speaking of that great V8 growl. Just listen to a Camaro SS or a Vette while it's on the dyno, and then listen to a Cobra, and compare the different pitch in the exhaust notes, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. But for that matter, you'll also be able to tell a difference in a Lightning engine exhaust sound, as compared to a Cobra. It's because of the greater displacement. Yes, you can change the sound with different mufflers and such, but only to a certain extent before you make your car so loud that it's just downright annoying.

But aside from the exhaust notes, when I supercharged my Marauder, my viewpoint began to change atleast slightly. I still like bigger displacement engines, but there has to be a limit for a street driven car. Especially if you'll be using it for your daily commute atleast 6 or even 8 months out of the year, and especially with gasoline prices what they are. I'm kinda hooked on superchargers myself now that I've had my car supercharged for a little over a year.They simply give a smaller displacement V8 engine, the wide powerband and torque of a big block V8 engine. But one of the two main reasons why I'm looking forward to the new GT500 is because they've finally decided to discard that small puney 4.6L engine of ours, and replace it for the bigger 5.4L engine. It's about time!! That engine will have a wider powerband with more useable power for the street, and it will have a nicer exhaust note given the same amount of exhaust work that we've given to out cars (and perhaps less work will be required).

For the last two years I've found fault with Ford for only making the 5.4L engine available in a pick-up truck, and in a millionaire's car. So I think that Ford is definately going in the right direction with the GT500 in the way of engine displacement, and with a twin-screw supercharger on it. It's about time. But as far as the Vette goes, you just can't compare a car that's going to be $30K more, because that's just not a valid comparisant since most of us won't be able to touch a car for that much $$. And IMO the GT500 looks way better than the Vette's body style does anyway.So even if I had the $$ for the new Vette, I wouldn't bother. Just looks ugly to me. Just my 2 cents.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Once I had Forced Induction, I don't want anything else! If you r going to mod the car N/A is way to expensive to add serious HP.

fordification

Established Member
I'm crazy for cubes too, but true be told, engines are suppose to be getting more efficient without going the cheap way by increasing the displacement. If you think Ford can't get the HP's out of 427cid engine your sadly mistaken. Case in point, S7. That'd be a stroked 351 my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread