How long til Wax new paint?

BlakHrse95

Established Member
I should be getting, (fingers crossed) my Mach 1 back in about 3 or so weeks, from the body shop. The right fender,bumper, hood, and whatever is needed to be blended, is going to be new paint. How long do I need to wait til it can be polished and waxed???
I just got my Killer Combo from ScottP today, so I am wondering how long til I get to use it. I think I saw 3 months somewhere? Is that true? If soo, looks like it will be mid May :(

spree

Established Member
Hmmm...I would probably talk to the body shop and ask them. My guess is that it varies.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
BlakHrse95 said:
I should be getting, (fingers crossed) my Mach 1 back in about 3 or so weeks, from the body shop. The right fender,bumper, hood, and whatever is needed to be blended, is going to be new paint. How long do I need to wait til it can be polished and waxed???
I just got my Killer Combo from ScottP today, so I am wondering how long til I get to use it. I think I saw 3 months somewhere? Is that true? If soo, looks like it will be mid May :(

I would ask your body shop to be sure but after I wrapped up the cobra, it was 30 days without washing and 3 months before waxing.
btw mine was hood, front bumper, and fender too

93Snake

I can help here used to work in a body shop....

The average time before waxing is 3 months, thats for most body shops... that doesn't speak for all because some have setups that allow for faster curing. If you don't give the paint enough time to cure before waxing you can have some issues. However there is a 3M Glaze that protects and gives a nice gloss and is new paint safe. Your paint is buffed with some type of glaze before you pick it up to protect the paint. Your factory paint job is different it goes through an advanced curing process so by the time your car is at the dealers it can be wax'd right away

93Snake

If you want I'll throw together a small list of glazes which I know are new paint safe.

93Snake

3M Imperial Hand Glaze (my favorite I have a picture after my mach was repainted in the rear with just this on it)
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze
Meguiars #81 Body Shop Professional Hand Polish
Meguiars #5 New Car glaze (right up there with the 3M imperial hand glaze)

Clearkote has a Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze which is an outstanding product however I haven't been able to find enough about it to see if it is safe for new paint.. basically if it's a true glaze, a true glaze doesn't contain any silicones or waxes which is the main concern.

93Snake

Here's my Mach with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.. There is one thing I forgot to mention and it's very important... NONE of these glazes last long at all because they contain no sillicone or waxes, one good rain is enough to strip the glaze. if your car is a daily driver and your anal like I your going to be applying it alot if it's rainy where you are.

index.php

Stroked03

Mobile paint works
Established Member
I just had my car repainted completley. Your car should be fine if they baked your paint you can wax it the day you get it back. But in reality your car will be curing for about3 months depending on weather. but you can wax and absolutly no machine wax for about 2 months

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
i got my truck back from the body shop 12/9 and i need to give it a really good wash/was here soon to make sure the paint looks ok. But since its snowing here, and my truck is dirty as hell i'll have to wait anyway

Users who are viewing this thread