How long for motor and S/C swap??

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
Hey guys I got a new MMR 900 block for my 97' Cobra over the winter. Took the KB blower off and am putting on a Vortech. I was just wondering has anybody done a full motor/blower swap?? and if so how long did it take you according that all parts are in front of you?? My car has been gone since January and I am just trying to see if this is a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

bs46488

Established Member
I think a lot depends on your tools/setup. If you have all the tools you need, it will factor a lot of time off it. For example, if you have access to a lift? things will be much easier

I can speak for the vortech install. I did mine in 8 hours (spread over two days). I did the install in the carport of my apt, so that time included putting the rear way up on jack stands to drop the fuel tank (and a trip to the gas station to fill the tank). Then when that was finished, I put the front of the car up on ramps to make it a little easier to get in and out from under the car.

When I had to replace a damanged serp belt, it only took me 1.5 hours to pull the whole vortech and run the new belt.

01yellercobra

Established Member
At least a long weekend. When I replaced my blown motor I pulled into the garage Friday afternoon and then backed it out Monday afternoon. That was with my new short block still waiting for heads and valve train. I had to install the Procharger, but I already knew what I was doing with it since it had been there previously. I had to pull it off for smog.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Its hard to gauge how long it would take, we dont know the materials your working with (As in tools/lifts/people to help) and we have no idea how decent you are with a wrench. I would say someone with the right tools, and the know how could do it in a day or two, given there aren't any major issues.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
Thanks for all the responses guys I was expecting a little longer than the said answers. I am actually having somebody do the swap on my car(MMR 900 block, Vortech blower). It is a car shop so all tools should be provided along with all hardware,etc. So the lift and wrench time are all there, but the car has been down for over 3 months at the shop now and i'm starting to get frustrated with the time its taking I just don't want anything rushed, but it's taking a little too long now. Do you guys agree?

GM Nitemare

Established Member
I took my 2004 Mustang GT to a known Modular guy. Had him switch my engine to an MMR 950 Stroker 32v. He took 8 1/2 months to do it. And raped me for it as well. What a HUGE disappointment.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
You're failing to mention that you didnt get all of the parts to the shop until recently and they are giving you a really good price because they are working it in with other projects that they have going on. Becareful how you phrase this.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
and its not just a swap. they had to assemble everything but the short block. they are also trying to reassemble a car that they didnt disassemble. That might prove to be a chore in itself. They will do a good job though and take care of you.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
You're failing to mention that you didnt get all of the parts to the shop until recently and they are giving you a really good price because they are working it in with other projects that they have going on. Becareful how you phrase this.

I don't remember not having any parts what so ever he had the car since January which you know and has not asked me for anything and IF he has it has been there next day if not the day after at latest so I'm not sure what parts your talking about. Yes they are giving me a good price which is why I went to Greg, but I'm going on 3 and a half months and the motor isn't even in the car yet.

and its not just a swap. they had to assemble everything but the short block. they are also trying to reassemble a car that they didnt disassemble. That might prove to be a chore in itself. They will do a good job though and take care of you.

He told me he'd rather had the car not disassembled before we got there or it would have been. The motor was pulled before christmas and the car has sat since then. I trust the work, but all the other cars that he works on before mine are getting frustrating cars that haven't been there at all and randomly pop up are getting worked on before mine, but like I said if I haven't had the parts he sure does now so we'll see I guess.

Are you talking to me?

No.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
This thread was just made as a question on how long it's supposed to take to do this so I could get an idea not to bash Greg. So don't make it seem that way though

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member

LOL is that a threat? Don't be a doucher, AJ. Of course it takes time to do a project, but I think he is kind of being kept in the dark. At least from what I've heard. Don't forget that his car was left outside all winter, as well. :dw:

Digital

Established Member
If a very good mechanic cannot swap an engine out in a day with a little help in a couple spots then he isn't a very good mechanic. A lot of shops have more projects going on at once then they have time for so what may seem like a 1-2 day job can take a week. That's why you should always discuss those things with the shop. There are also the obvious unforscene issues that can cause delays but too many shops blame their laziness on things they "didn't expect."

goodCheapFast.jpg

Last edited:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
If a very good mechanic cannot swap an engine out in a day with a little help in a couple spots then he isn't a very good mechanic. A lot of shops have more projects going on at once then they have time for so what may seem like a 1-2 day job can take a week. That's why you should always discuss those things with the shop. There are also the obvious unforscene issues that can cause delays but too many shops blame their laziness on things they "didn't expect."

goodCheapFast.jpg

Very well put. Specifically, "There are also the obvious unforscene issues that can cause delays but too many shops blame their laziness on things they "didn't expect."
:beer:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
LOL is that a threat? Don't be a doucher, AJ. Of course it takes time to do a project, but I think he is kind of being kept in the dark. At least from what I've heard. Don't forget that his car was left outside all winter, as well. :dw:

No Stew its not a threat. I just don't want this to turn into a bitching or bashing session. All of the delays aren't Gregs fault. If he's got a problem with the amount of time its taking, he should say something to Greg first. That hasn't happened though. I've NEVER had a problem dropping my car off there and getting stuff done in a quick manner...and I typically don't pay for work. They are a good shop, thorough, and trustworthy. I wont allow there name to be tarnished unless its deserved, which is why I advised caution to Jimmi. He wasn't bashing, and doesn't need to either.

Keep in mind. This isnt just a "swap" the motor had to be assembled too. That in itself, takes time.
If he isnt hearing from Greg, its not because he's hiding. Greg will answer the phone at any hour and be in the shop, which is on the same property he lives on, all night. Call or stop by.

Last edited:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
No Stew its not a threat. I just don't want this to turn into a bitching or bashing session. All of the delays aren't Gregs fault. If he's got a problem with the amount of time its taking, he should say something to Greg first. That hasn't happened though. I've NEVER had a problem dropping my car off there and getting stuff done in a quick manner...and I typically don't pay for work. They are a good shop, thorough, and trustworthy. I wont allow there name to be tarnished unless its deserved, which is why I advised caution to Jimmi. He wasn't bashing, and doesn't need to either.

Keep in mind. This isnt just a "swap" the motor had to be assembled too. That in itself, takes time.
If he isnt hearing from Greg, its not because he's hiding. Greg will answer the phone at any hour and be in the shop, which is on the same property he lives on, all night. Call or stop by.

I told him to talk to Greg, again. I'm sure he will do that, again. However, just because you've had good experiences doesn't mean that they hold true for someone else. Look at Precision, for example. You love them and I... Well, you know what I and many people think of them lmao (and for good reasons). Through my experiences with certain shops, they tend to be lazy or put things off. This could be to accumulate more and more labor charges, or just because they're simply lazy. Seems like he's getting the runaround after all this time. Hopefully that's not the case, broski.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I told him to talk to Greg, again. I'm sure he will do that, again. However, just because you've had good experiences doesn't mean that they hold true for someone else. Look at Precision, for example. You love them and I... Well, you know what I and many people think of them lmao (and for good reasons). Through my experiences with certain shops, they tend to be lazy or put things off. This could be to accumulate more and more labor charges, or just because they're simply lazy. Seems like he's getting the runaround after all this time. Hopefully that's not the case, broski.

They arent charging him by the hour....so putting it off doesnt generate money. He's definitely not getting the run around.

Users who are viewing this thread