How long do I give the shop to work on my car?

MRSUPRA

Established Member
As I'm mainly a "do it your selfer", I hardly ever take my car to a shop to have work done. So I was wondering from people with more experience in this area.. How long should I give the shop to work on my car before I take it to another shop?

I brought my car into a reputable Mustang shop in my area to have them fix tune my ON3 twin turbo mustang that I scheduled months ahead of time so I would make sure I had everything done. It turns out that I could not get my downpipe to line up properly, so I asked this shop if they could fix it before they tune it. They said definitely, especially since they've installed plenty of these kits. So it's been at the shop for about 5 weeks now and nothing has gotten done. Am I being impatient? Or should I be ready to take it to another shop that wants to work on it?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The key is the type of communication your getting from the shop. Do they have a legitimate reason for the time they are taking or are they just blowing you off. I took my car in to my tuner to have a torque booster installed and a retune. They found something wrong with an install that was done from another shop and offered to fix it and it only delayed it 2 days. they didnt have to tell me but they did and fixed it at a reasonable price! Thats hows it suppose to be done!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As I'm mainly a "do it your selfer", I hardly ever take my car to a shop to have work done. So I was wondering from people with more experience in this area.. How long should I give the shop to work on my car before I take it to another shop?

I brought my car into a reputable Mustang shop in my area to have them fix tune my ON3 twin turbo mustang that I scheduled months ahead of time so I would make sure I had everything done. It turns out that I could not get my downpipe to line up properly, so I asked this shop if they could fix it before they tune it. They said definitely, especially since they've installed plenty of these kits. So it's been at the shop for about 5 weeks now and nothing has gotten done. Am I being impatient? Or should I be ready to take it to another shop that wants to work on it?

I'd be curious to know why they haven't gotten to it yet, if you had it scheduled months ahead of time.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
After the car was there for about 3 weeks, they told me one of the technicians had to go out for an operation. But apparently he was back the next week. That was the one hiccup they had.

I'm really hoping to work with them, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer I should wait.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
We all know that shops tend to get to the work that makes them the most money first, then when that slows down they go to the fix it stuff...its a well known pecking order!

dennisn

Established Member
I'd find someone else if at all possible. 5 weeks is ridiculous. What's the problem you scheduled months in advance. If they were behind they should have told you at least a reasonable time to expect it done. Just wait til you need a revision or any other type of work you may need. Good luck

Zemedici

Established Member
Find another shop

My shops 3 weeks back logged, that means your car would sit at my shop being untouched for 3 weeks, but 'in line'

But I tell the customer that up front

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i say after the 3rd week pasted i would be loading my car.no shop can hold to 1 week schedule but 5! thats crazy

CPRsm

Depends on why, and how they do their scheduling. If it had unforeseen problems you may have backed up their workload and they started working on other cars that were also scheduled ahead of time. Some shops will reschedule the rework for something like this at the back. Or if they are having trouble doing it for what they quoted, they may be chipping away at it instead of charging you more. Best bet is to just ask

Last edited:

MKMotorsport

Established Member
strictly imho- find another shop...

"forcing" or nagging a shop into doing something they otherwise don't have a priority to do or they don't want to work on is a recipe for getting your car hacked up or 1/2 assed together.

Zemedici

Established Member
strictly imho- find another shop...

"forcing" or nagging a shop into doing something they otherwise don't have a priority to do or they don't want to work on is a recipe for getting your car hacked up or 1/2 assed together.

150% correct. That's why my shop's got the wait we do, we do quality work. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day....

Dont rush a shop.

Holovacko

Established Member
From what I've observed, shops are accepting jobs knowing the car will sit, because they don't want to lose the business to someone else. So they take car, begin work and then stop (so now you can't move the car) then get back to it, when they can, or when they feel like it.

PC03GT

Established Member
How many cars were there when you dropped your's off?Also this is one of the busiest times of the year considering OC cruise week is coming up. Waiting sucks, hopefully they get your car done soon

cummins4life

Established Member
is this is a trick question? 5 weeks and you haven't put your foot up ( well.... you know the rest ) completely un exceptable .... Take it somewhere else

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Talked to the shop today. They said the car needs more work then they though since it has several exhaust leaks. And like some have already mentioned, they said it's the busy time of the year for them.

They said they will get back to me Wednesday. Hopefully I will talking about dyno numbers soon, instead of "what shop I have to tow my mustang too".

Users who are viewing this thread