How long are your Nittos lasting

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Did some quick searches and couldn't find anything specific.
I just burned through a new set of tires in a year and I don't want to pay $240 apiece when I'm going to burn through them again. So Nittos are cheaper and are better then standard street tires in terms of traction but I'm worried it's the wrong move for my daily driver. I was running 315 Nittos on my '98 Cobra (daily driver) and they seem to last months but maybe that was a fluke..? I don't dog the car and it only has 36,500 miles on it so I would expect them to last a little while.

Anyone want to add some comments? Only having one pair a few years ago doesn’t answer all my questions.
BTW- I post here because I imagine you guys are the hardest on tires. LOL

(Please Nitto experience only. I know other brands/models hook better.)

SpectorV

Established Member
my friend has some nitto DR's and he has nearly 10k on them, they are going down quick... he has only used them on the track once I do believe.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Well, I don't have the low-end torque you guys have and I'm still running stock 3.27 gears. So low RPM power is non-existent.

acatalon

Established Member
Since I've had Nitto Drag Radials I've had to change them at the same interval as my oil (3000). I have 25000 miles on car and I am on my 10th rear tire change. Whether it be, Nittos's or MT et streets or F1's the story has been the same. I could have been rich if I hadn't put my foot in it at every stoplight.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I've had my 315-35 DR's for about 5000 miles and probably 30 track passes and they still look good. I've been told they're like some gas guages that stay on Full for a long time then plummet to Empty. So far, so good (my daily commute is only 20 miles round-trip so not a lot of miles in a year).

magnum4000

Established Member
I had DR's before I did the pully and chip. They lasted 8k miles until bald as a baby's ass. After 5k, forget driving in the rain. If you get caught in the rain, leave traction control on and drive like a granny. Then I put 555 extremes (more streetable, harder compound). They are ok, but after I did the pulley and chip, it's like driving in a vat of butter. I can't give it full throttle in 1st at all, only late into 2nd. At the track, I heated the hell out of them and still slid through first and second. I tried a dust off, and the same results. I just purchased another set of DRs to go on in the next few days.

Power is great, but not if you can't get it to the road! Good luck!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
So far I only have about 80-100 miles of purely 'normal' non-tire spinning street (2lane, interstate, inner city) driving on them. No burnouts yet, tread looks 100% new. Just trying to heat cycle them a little. Edges are still square don't show any signs of immediate wear.

I bought them because most guys seem to claim 5k of mixed use, and up to 10k of light street use.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have 13,000 miles on mine with 11 track passes and still have plenty left. Keep them at 30 psi and no burnouts on the street.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
acatalon said:
Since I've had Nitto Drag Radials I've had to change them at the same interval as my oil (3000). I have 25000 miles on car and I am on my 10th rear tire change. Whether it be, Nittos's or MT et streets or F1's the story has been the same. I could have been rich if I hadn't put my foot in it at every stoplight.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
acatalon said:

Now that's what I'm talking about. Why get a fast a$$ hotrod and then putter around to save a few bucks on tires? HAVE FUN!!! Burn those bad boys off and get some more!!!

I like this guy!

:bowdown:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Damn I don't know how some of you guys are getting that kind of mileage out of the Nitto's. I got about 5 or 6K out of mine with maybe 10 John Force style burnouts at the track before I got my slicks. I seem to have a hard time driving normally on the street though. Once they start to get a little low on tread they are almost worthless.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I think I can be one of those people that get close to 10k miles which equals about a year. I'm 80% sure I'm going to get Nittos. They are cheaper then street tires anyway.

I appreciate all the feedback and welcome more as people see this thread.

Horsed

Established Member
My first set of 555Rs in the back lasted about 12k. The 555RIIs in the front just went after 17k. No track passes. No burnouts.

Users who are viewing this thread