how hard to add factory nav in 2010+

charged87

Established Member
I have a 2010 GT500 that I think has a shaker 500 because I don't have the sub in the trunk.. My question is would the nav be plug and play with the shaker 500 harness or would it be a different harness because of the A/C controls built into the nav.
So is it possible and worth it to add the nav? The only setup I saw close to factory is the kit from American muscle for $700 I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for a ford unit.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I went through this and in a quick answer its no. You can add the factory Nav, but it is not a plug n play solution. You would think it should be, but its not.

This thread on THE Mustang Source is the way to add the OEM Factory NAV.

I looked into this and it gets costly quickly depepnding on who you get the parts from. It seems the places that have these parts knows about the swap and have jacked up the prices quite a bit.

I went with a Kenwood system, coupled with the IdataLink solution. It retains all of the sync, uses garmen nav, and has the bonus of being able to read and display all of the OBDII data in real time. IMO its better to go this route than trying to get the fac nav in.

You can read some more from the thread I setup, Kenwood 890 Nav Review here or feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Last edited:

charged87

Established Member
Thanks for the info.. your setup looks great what was the final cost and how hard was it to install. .. the raxiom kit looks like you had to leave the sync display tucked behind the radio which doesn't seem to have much room back there.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
The install is not difficult. The hardest part (because I suck at solder) is to do the 2 wires to the OBDII connection port. Also there is a splice into the sync wire component above the glovebox. The install though is straight forward and not difficult at all.

You program the RR box via a usb connection on your computer, set the buttons on the face plate, and boom, install like a regular radio. The kit is well put together and fit n finish is nice. The only thing really is to decide which radio to go with. Also for this year, both Alpine and Pioneer has joined the mix.

The cost was 819 for the 890, 229 for face plate, and the RR for 139. I bought from a local shop. You could get the setup cheaper on Crutchfield, as they give you half off the accessories and free stuff when you buy a radio from them.

Users who are viewing this thread