How hard is it?

TurboJ2

Established Member
Blkdvl said:
Neverbeen done before
I dont know about that. I talked to Tim Matherly of MV Performance at Fun Ford Weekend this past Sunday and he said it has. He has just hasn't seen it done in person.

Last edited:

scootro

Established Member
TurboJ2 said:
I think it would be a neat swap. My truck has 148K on the clock and is getting tired.
i think its a cool idea, but when my 94' starts getting tired i'm going to invest in rebuilding the original motor better than it came from the factory.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I would have to estimate, if you're doing all the work yourself at least 10k...Unless you can get a steal on all the gen2 parts you are converting over. You'd still have to think about things like motor mounts, etc. This has been discussed in lengths over on the nloc, you might want to check it out. I believe Sal from PSP was going to do this, but I don't think he follwed through with the plan. Again, unless you're crazy over modulars, which you very well could be, it's not worth it. There are many guys running in the 11 second range with not as much work to their truck as you would think. Is it going to cost more to go that fast than in a mustang? Hell yeah, but the cool factor of blowing the doors off of somebody in a farm truck is really an understated joy. There's even a guy with a stock shortblock running ever so-close to a 10-second pass on a s-trim. That's also with stock type suspension, Speed Density and stock tranny (I think he only has a valve body). So, It's really up to you. -Josh

Last edited:

TurboJ2

Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
I would have to estimate, if you're doing all the work yourself at least 10k...Unless you can get a steal on all the gen2 parts you are converting over. You'd still have to think about things like motor mounts, etc. This has been discussed in lengths over on the nloc, you might want to check it out. I believe Sal from PSP was going to do this, but I don't think he follwed through with the plan. Again, unless you're crazy over modulars, which you very well could be, it's not worth it. There are many guys running in the 11 second range with not as much work to their truck as you would think. Is it going to cost more to go that fast than in a mustang? Hell yeah, but the cool factor of blowing the doors off of somebody in a farm truck is really an understated joy. There's even a guy with a stock shortblock running ever so-close to a 10-second pass on a s-trim. That's also with stock type suspension, Speed Density and stock tranny (I think he only has a valve body). So, It's really up to you. -Josh
Thanks for you input. I will have to check it out.I would really like to do it just for the uniqueness of it. I'm not looking to make it a super fast truck, just a good driver with some "cool factor" about it. :)

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
While I think putting a G2 lightning motor in our G1s might be a waste, a motor from the new "Shelby" cobra would be sweet being a 4 valve.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
TurboJ2 said:
Thanks for you input. I will have to check it out.I would really like to do it just for the uniqueness of it. I'm not looking to make it a super fast truck, just a good driver with some "cool factor" about it. :)
Well then, by all means go ahead. :thumbsup: Don't let me or others discourage you, if that's your goal. I just thought (ASSumed) you were one of the many newbies that look at the gen 2, but have a gen 1 and think "why is that one so much faster?" :idea: :rollseyes But definitely keep us updated with the progress of your truck including price estimates. If you do go through with it, you'll be the first I've heard of that actually finished and documented it with proof. Of course you MUST post pics for all of the Lightning community to see. :D :rockon: -Josh

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
TurboJ2 said:
Yea if you got the time and $$ and thats what u want definatly go for it. I think it would be awsome!

Users who are viewing this thread