How hard is it to install a steering shaft on a 96-98 cobra

shabbyblue

Established Member
I want to replace my steering shaft with a MM steering shaft on my 97 cobra. Is it hard to get to the steering shaft? I have bassani mid pipes on the car right now. Do I have to lift the engine or take of the drivers side headers to get to the steering shaft?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you go to the MM website they have all their install instructions on there, the ones for my car had pictures and everything. Go download those and look through it. I cant remember if its your year that has a couple extra steps but you shouldnt have to take the header off or anything. The shaft attaches with a pinch bolt at the rack and under the dash near the steering wheel (some cars have something else near the master cylinder but not sure what years). Then you just slide the old one out and the new one in. Tighten it down and done (theres a couple extra steps but nothing big). It can be kind a of a pain in the ass to snake it through.

chao5.0

Established Member
I just did mine about 2-3 months ago after I bought it and it wasn't hard at all, actually pretty easy, just make sure you have good light to see what you are doing and make sure you lock the steering wheel before removing the shaft.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I had Bassani Mid Lengths on my Cobra and my steering shaft was easy to fit in and out. As a matter of fact, I had to take the shaft out to reinstall the motor with the headers installed.

Users who are viewing this thread