How hard are your interviews?

How hard are your interviews?

• Easy, we just chat about life

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • somewhat easy, just get asked about my experience

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • medium difficulty, some questions nothing bad

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • hard, difficult questions (technical questions)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Rip my hair out hard, relentless questions

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveChris

Established Member
I am currently looking for a new job, been at my current place for 4 years now. I'm disgusted when i hear people tell me how easy their interviews are.
People who make less, the same, or more then i do tell me they just talk and answer some simple 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' type questions.

I'm a software developer and i'm very used to being tested to death but lately it has gotten MUCH worse. Phone interviews went from just scanning people who completely lie about what they know to full on tests where i need sheets of paper and etc to write everything down on. They used to just be a screener to get you a real interview.

Any else go thorugh this crap, and what do you do for a living?

I program in C++, trading systems, nyc area.. looking for similar work.

for anyone in the field who'd understand this:
questions bascially went from.. how does polymorphism work.. i explain it and say it looks up the function addresses on the vtable.
NOW, the question is exactly how are they one the vtable, how many copies of the table are there, does each have a copy, etc etc. you really dont need to know the inner working to that level off the top of your head!!

JasonSnake

Established Member
Do you only do C++? C# / Sharepoint / .Net is on the rise as enterprises are trying to streamline with MS products. You should also get into web dev with PHP if you do C++. Everything is going to the cloud these days.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I had a few snap questions thrown at me, like what was the escape velocity of the Earth, which I knew was 11.2 km/s but they wanted it in mph (english units ftl) and I had 20 seconds to convert it in my head. That was about it.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I just had one today. It went very well. but then again it is at a place i used to work so I knew the guys very well.

SteveChris

Established Member
Do you only do C++? C# / Sharepoint / .Net is on the rise as enterprises are trying to streamline with MS products. You should also get into web dev with PHP if you do C++. Everything is going to the cloud these days.
In this area they pretty much use C++/UNIX for trading systems (server side). lots of jobs and they pay well. Java is very big for algo trading..but for speed they use C++. Not going to get them to change that up any time soon so for my career length i think C++ is safe.

I had a few snap questions thrown at me, like what was the escape velocity of the Earth, which I knew was 11.2 km/s but they wanted it in mph (english units ftl) and I had 20 seconds to convert it in my head. That was about it.

11. wha? veloci..raptor...i know that. i'd need 20 days to convert that

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Medium, on average.

I've had one job in particular where the interviewers asked a LOT of questions about how I would deal with ~10 scenarios and an example of each from my previous employment. After that was done I had to take computer based tests on my skills and knowledge (which were pretty dumb, to be honest).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Couldnt do it in my head in 20s, but could probably do it with a calculator and scratch pad in about 2min lol.

or just bust out google and have it do it for me.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=11.2+km%2Fs+to+mph&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]11.2 km/s to mph - Google Search[/ame]

I had one interview at a solar panel place (SolarCity, owned by the guy who owns Tesla as well) where they had the whole gamut of HR questions. I got caught up on the whole "list 4 weaknesses and how you plan on improving them". After that epic failure i came home and started looking for how to answer that crap.

The interview to get me the job i have now with the owner was like "come swing by and well bullshit for a good hour and just get to know each other".

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
When I was in college I worked for a call center that did fund raising for the university. I was amazed at how many questions they asked me. Easiest job ever though.

G04cobra

Established Member
For my first accounting job out of college the controller came out as the final interviewer. He asked me to name the people who interviewed me, asked me what my perception of their management style was, which manager I'd like to work for and why. I froze for a while, the whole interview lasted almost three hours with 6 people interviewing me. I'd rather answer technical questions any day of the week.

oldmodman

Established Member
Back at the recording studio in the 70's we would just ask the girls if they would swallow. Typing was a bonus.
I guess things have changed in this new fangled computer world.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Back at the recording studio in the 70's we would just ask the girls if they would swallow. Typing was a bonus.
I guess things have changed in this new fangled computer world.

nah, nowadays they just check her Facebook page......pretty much sums up if they swallow or not.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My first interview with the company I work for now was tough. I went through four managers, each one with different questions. One pulled out a stackup drawing of a surface wellhead and Christmas tree and asked me to determine failure locations under certain loading conditions, and where/what kind of failure mode calculations I would do (hoop stress, bending moment, shear stress etc). Another gave me a cutaway assembly drawing and three highlighters and had me identify all the different parts of a mudline system. Another was Vietnamese, and I'm not really sure what he asked me, but I must have answered those questions right...and the fourth just talked about how awesome the benefits were. My second interview (intercompany transfer) was pretty difficult as well, but not nearly as bad as that first one.

stangin99

Established Member
I am also a software engineer.

For my current company, I had 7 different interviewers in one day, each 30-45 mins long.

Before that I had a 1.5 hour technical phone interview. IMHO, technical phone interviews with a non-native English speaking person are the absolute hardest thing in this world to do.

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
The one question that I was asked that threw me off was "What Kind Of Money DO You Want"? I answered with green. He laughed and I am still working in the same company.

Coiled03

Established Member
To get into my current company was medium to medium-high difficulty, I'd say. Three one hour interviews with 3 different upper level managers. A few technical questions from each, but most of them were questions about character, and how you'd handle certain things.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
My last interview was with about eight different people for 30mins each. They ranged from engineers all the way to the VP. Every one of them had all types of questions (technical and non-technical). I was exhausted at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread