How good is a T45, or can one be?

Badasssapper67

Established Member
I didn't realize that the T45 was only in our Mustangs for a couple years...and that's it.
Is it because Tremec bought Borg Warners light duty transmission line?
When I started thinking about buying another T45 and making it bullet proof I learned a lot that I didn't know.
Like a lot of people are having a hard time getting a solid core for a decent price and that's not going to get any better.
I also got the impression that the T 3650 is a lot like the T45, is that correct? Which one is better from the factory and can the T3650 be made to take 600+ hp?
My Cobra isn't a daily driver, it's a pleasure driver, mostly on Sundays etc. Eventually I want to join a club and go around the track at speed at Portland International Raceway. I see people do that on you tube and that seems like a great thing to get into.

Your opinions on which tranny is the toughest is appreciated. I don't care about smooth shifting, just the toughest transmission that I can get that I'll be able to keep getting parts for.

shurur

Established Member
http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1354274-trans-s-t-5-t-45-3650-a.html

http://www.thet45source.com

http://www.the3650source.com

T45 is single rail and smoother.. But less precise feeling. It can be built for 700 tq.

The 3650 is stronger and multiple rail design.
So more precise feeling..but clunky.

I heard on another recent thread that both of the transmissions parts are getting scarce.

I think the most supported will be the t56 magnum (T6060) over time.
++±++++++++++++++++
The corral thread above wells the lineage of these transmissions:
Flow chart?

Borg Warner Design:
T-5 -> T-45 -> T-56

Early Tremec Design:
TR3550 -> TKO

Tremec Design after purchasing the T-Series rights from Borg Warner:
TR3650 -> TR6060 -> T-56 Magnum

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I'd love to go with a close ratio 6 speed but it's a lot of money that's not necessary.

Call Zak at the t45 source. He owns both sites listed. If $ is a concern, I'd built the transmission I had.

I was obsessed about the 6 speed CR too.

Often decisions are dependent on your financial situation at the time..and of course preference.

Example: some say the t45 is smooth...to me the shifts seem sloppy, but I'll probably just get it rebuilt anyway...unless I start making money again.....right now the transmission is fine and may outlive me.!!

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
You should definitely call Zak Harty at the T45 source and talk to him about this. In reality you're only going to get opinions on the forum.

What I can tell you with my experience with my T45source fully built trans that I absolutely love it. It has all the goods inside and is halfway through year 2 with a car making 400/431 on drag radials. It gets driven hard, it gets WOT shifted regularly without any wotbox garbage (just good old fashion powershifting), I drive the car as hard as I can drive it and I can tell you the transmission is fantastic. It always shifts smooth, reliably, and feels great whether it's driving around town or railing a 1-4 gear pull. I would not hesitate to put more power in front of it. Out of every car I've ever driven with a 3650 or T56 the T45 is the best shifting one IMO, it's smoother and just flat out feels better.

Obviously like everything the trans will have it's limits Zak is about the only guy out there who doesn't really put a B.S. power rating behind his transmissions. He is very informative and will take the time to answer every single one of your questions you have in detail as many times as you need them explained. It was definitely hands down the best transaction I've ever done when buying car parts. He went out of his way to make sure I was happy with what was going on, and even answered a phone call when I had an urgent question at 8 o clock at night. Once you call him you will definitely have a good idea on which direction to go with your transmission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread