How does the new Camaro stack up?

Rochard

Established Member
Okay, one of my friends bought a new Camaro and he's talking about he can spank Mustangs. I did some research and it seems to me that the new Carmaro v8 beats out a new Mustang GT by one tenth of a second. Can anyone confirm that?

Is it true this car is putting out over 400hp stock?

Its rated at 426HP but they are only putting down around 350rwhp stock. They are also pretty hefty, weighing in @ 3900lbs.

According to Edmunds....

Camaro: 0-60 = 4.9 seconds --- Quarter mile = 13.4@108
Mustang GT: 0-60 = 4.9 seconds --- Quarter mile = [email protected] mph

Last edited:

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
I hate to reference you to a rag mag.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZhNTDiPTFA&feature=channel"]YouTube - 2010 Chevy Camaro SS vs. 2010 Ford Mustang GT, 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T - Car and Driver[/ame]

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Some shops have broken into the high 12's stock, mid-12's with cold air and a tune. The tuning is terrible on these cars; throttle is cut to 23% after shifts, and the torque management - just like the GT500 - really sucks. Once the shops get the tuning sorted they will really wake up. They have dynoed from the 350's to the 380's from what I've seen. If you want good info, head over to camaro5.com. I heard somewhere that taking off the "suitcase" exhaust and replacing with standard mufflers dropped 87 lbs...sounds like they were using the mufflers as a crumple/crash zone.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Having owned both and 04 cobra and now a '10 Camaor SS, I can say stock for stock it would be a good race but I think the cobra would come out on top. The camaro is pretty heave (what isn't getting heavier these days). I'll tell you what though. For it's weight it handles pretty well and being able to go 13.0 at about 111mph with that weight isn't too shaby. DO I think it can be the GT in its current version? Yes. Do I think it would beat a terminator or GT500? No. Currently for 35k (2SS/RS) though, I think it is the best bang for the buck out there and should be a good platform to build off of.

BTW .. you gotta tell your camaro friend to not be so cocky .. it gives us a bad name ..

Crowley

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
Having owned both and 04 cobra and now a '10 Camaor SS, I can say stock for stock it would be a good race but I think the cobra would come out on top. The camaro is pretty heave (what isn't getting heavier these days). I'll tell you what though. For it's weight it handles pretty well and being able to go 13.0 at about 111mph with that weight isn't too shaby. DO I think it can be the GT in its current version? Yes. Do I think it would beat a terminator or GT500? No. Currently for 35k (2SS/RS) though, I think it is the best bang for the buck out there and should be a good platform to build off of.

BTW .. you gotta tell your camaro friend to not be so cocky .. it gives us a bad name ..

Crowley

good info, but its not even close to being the "best bang for your buck" at 35K..

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
good info, but its not even close to being the "best bang for your buck" at 35K..

Can you share with me what is? I'd like to know becuase if we are talking performance I don't think it can be beat in a straight line at the price point. Twistys may be different, but if I wanted that I'd pick up a 2 seat miata and call it a day.

Thanks,
Crowley

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
OP, the camaro is a contender. The owners I talk to have already opened up their cars a lot. Sure, its no 03-04 Cobra, but I would rock it any day.

YouTube - 2010 Chevy Camaro SS vs. 2010 Ford Mustang GT, 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T - Car and Driver
I got my 09 challenger R/T 6spd for 12-13k less than the price they ask for on these reviews. This price was available for anybody too. Its very odd that they throw these overpriced appearance packages to show off their car.

If it was up to me though, Id love to own all 3! The new muscle cars are probably going to disappear soon too, that will totally suck.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Its rated at 426HP but they are only putting down around 350rwhp stock. They are also pretty hefty, weighing in @ 3900lbs.

According to Edmunds....

Camaro: 0-60 = 4.9 seconds --- Quarter mile = 13.4@108
Mustang GT: 0-60 = 4.9 seconds --- Quarter mile = [email protected] mph

that's 18 percent drive train loss, which is par for the course.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Friends just dyno'd 353/351 hp/tq. He took it to HRP next day (yesterday) and had good results. BONE STOCK down to the air in the tires (37psi). Stock tune, stock everything. 13.07@109 w/ a 2.05 60'. He was trying to get that down but it's hard to launch the car he said. DA was 2300ft!

That's not too shabby for a boat.

Formula51

Established Member
400rwhp and 400 rwtq with headers and cat-back isn't too shabby either. And that is UNTUNED on a low mileage car.

[ame=http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688571]Texas Speed Long Tubes & Rumbler 5 Cat-Back Dyno Results! - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board[/ame]

You will see near 450hp at the wheels from bolt-on's. Throw some decent gears on the car (factory is terrible) and it should be pretty impressive.

Still too heavy for me though.

As for comparison to the Mustang GT. From what I have read, the Camaro dominates the current car in everything but steering feel/turn-in and overall grip (skid pad). However, slalom times and speeds are pretty much dead nuts. I think Ford will bring their A-game in 2011 and I am excited to see those comparisons. I think GM may need a "track-pack" for the Camaro at that point with some better gears. IF, and thats a big IF, they do that the Camaro should still come out on top in a straightline.

Users who are viewing this thread