How does the Boss compare to a 911tt

lee4him

Established Member
Need some input from Boss owners. I've been out of the Mustang scene for a few years but continue to miss the power and sound of my 03 Cobra. The Cobra was great in its own way but it lacked the refinement in the car that replaced it (01 Porsche 911). I love the handling and looks of my 911 but it lacks the punch the Cobra had. Now I took a 911 Turbo out last weekend for a test drive and it had a great feel and sound was good too. Gobs of power and handling was great. Of course at the end of the test drive I was sold (so I thought). Now I'm looking at the 03-04 year group of Porsche 911 Turbos which go from high 30's to low 50's pending miles, condition, etc. The Boss of course sits right in that price range and its brand new technology albeit the Metzger engine in the 911 Turbo is nothing to sneeze at (race proven technology) and of course rear mounted engine and IRS. Anyway, I still cant seem to shack the thought of the Boss; however, finding a dealership that will allow a test drive of the Boss seems to be impossible (at least in the DC Metro area). So I thought I'd get some thoughts from other enthusiasts.

FYI, I'm not new to the Boss...just new to the 12-13 Boss. I have very fond memories as a kid riding with my pops in our 69. Might be cool to have an old C stripe and a new Hockey Stick sitting side by side ;-) But then again the 911 Turbo is pretty special in its own right. Appreciate the input guys!

darreng505

Established Member
I've owned Porsches before. It's a great car. But as a 2012 Boss owner, I see those eurocars more for daily driving, sunday road trips and date night. Yes, the turbo is a better car than the regular 911 but its still a street car by design and would be expensive to maintain if you dished out the road beating a boss can deliver.

The boss is a raw, gnarly, mean, growling track car you can drive on the street. It has presence and looks great (and the sound is way better than the 911's in my opinion). There are tons of 911's and turbos out there (most people can't even tell the difference just by looking).

The fact that you've owned a Porsche yet can't shake this curiosity of the boss should tell you something. You won't be disappointed.

PS. I routinely pass 911's on the track, even in corners...

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Come out to one of the local cars and coffee. There are a few Boss' and I wouldn't mind letting you take mine for a spin.

I used to have a terminator as well and miss it every day. Both are completely different, especially in the power delivery. If you had a terminator and a Boss 302 both making the same power to the wheels they'd still feel worlds apart. I've never driven a 911 so can't help you there.

lee4him

Established Member
darreng505 - love your Boss! It looks great. This is the statement that has me drawn to the current generation, "The boss is a raw, gnarly, mean, growling track car you can drive on the street"

I'm actually new to the DC Metro area...just moved from Dayton (active duty Air Force) a few months ago. So, I'm not familiar with all the weekend event locations (cars and coffee). I'm down in the SMD area near Prince Fredrick. Would love to meet up with some of y'all if you're close.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
My wife is from Dayton and gave birth to our daughter at wright patt AFB. Here's a link to the cars and coffee meet ups
Cars & Coffee at Fair Lakes Kohl's @ 8:30am - The Northern Virginia Sports Car Club (Centreville, VA) - Meetup
A lot of the Boss guys in the area (at least the ones that I've met at the show) are against modding the 12-13 Boss 302, which I can respect since it is a factory race car.

If it helps any before I bought my Boss 302 I test drive multiple cars in my budget range before pulling the trigger. Those include C63 AMG, E55 AMG, e9x M3, 2011-2012 GT500, s281 E and a 2011 CTS-V. While the Bos was not the fastest car it IMO was the most enjoyable. Getting on/off the beltway is something I look forward to everyday in this car (unless its rush hour!)

lee4him

Established Member
^^^great input. Thanks for the link! Those are all cars I have looked at as well (at one point or another along the way). So to know the Boss tops them (because of pure enjoyment) means something. Yeah lets face it, the Beltway drive is nothing short of terrible. Got to have a car you love so as to not go crazy due to the traffic.

Brewmaster

Established Member
For 9 years I drove a 911 as my summer driver. I enjoyed its handling and feel but the Boss is unreal enjoyment. The biggest difference is driving a car with the engine in the front. I can get loose in a corner with my Boss and have no fear of losing it completely but the 911 scared the crap out of me when it broke loose. I can lay a little rubber now too. Before I never tried with all that weight over the rear axle. Overall, the Boss is much more fun!

RobG64

Established Member
darreng505 - love your Boss! It looks great. This is the statement that has me drawn to the current generation, "The boss is a raw, gnarly, mean, growling track car you can drive on the street"

I'm actually new to the DC Metro area...just moved from Dayton (active duty Air Force) a few months ago. So, I'm not familiar with all the weekend event locations (cars and coffee). I'm down in the SMD area near Prince Fredrick. Would love to meet up with some of y'all if you're close.

Welcome to SoMD! I'm just south of Prince Frederick. Commute to DC everyday. You get used to it...eventually.

Rob G

Para81

Established Member
Need some input from Boss owners. I've been out of the Mustang scene for a few years but continue to miss the power and sound of my 03 Cobra. The Cobra was great in its own way but it lacked the refinement in the car that replaced it (01 Porsche 911). I love the handling and looks of my 911 but it lacks the punch the Cobra had. Now I took a 911 Turbo out last weekend for a test drive and it had a great feel and sound was good too. Gobs of power and handling was great. Of course at the end of the test drive I was sold (so I thought). Now I'm looking at the 03-04 year group of Porsche 911 Turbos which go from high 30's to low 50's pending miles, condition, etc. The Boss of course sits right in that price range and its brand new technology albeit the Metzger engine in the 911 Turbo is nothing to sneeze at (race proven technology) and of course rear mounted engine and IRS. Anyway, I still cant seem to shack the thought of the Boss; however, finding a dealership that will allow a test drive of the Boss seems to be impossible (at least in the DC Metro area). So I thought I'd get some thoughts from other enthusiasts.

FYI, I'm not new to the Boss...just new to the 12-13 Boss. I have very fond memories as a kid riding with my pops in our 69. Might be cool to have an old C stripe and a new Hockey Stick sitting side by side ;-) But then again the 911 Turbo is pretty special in its own right. Appreciate the input guys!

Metzger engine is capable of ridicolous power. I would recommend an 07-09 911 Turbo - prices are dropping fast and i'm seeing plenty in high fifties low 60's now.

The Boss is awesome. I have a hard time sometimes choosing which car I want to drive. My Porsche 911 is loaded with PCCB's, adaptive sport seats, PSE, PASM, virtually every option Porsche offered. The Boss is a much more raw "race car" like experience.

They are totally different drives, one one hand you have a track ready muscle car, and the other you have German brute precision. Both are nasty, both are extremely fun and both are cool. As I say they pass the"McQueen test".

My suggestion is get both. I did and love them.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
Agreed with the points on sound above. The Boss 302 sound is leagues ahead of any 911 i've heard. Unless you're talking about a full exhaust/headers 997 GT3 which has ridicolous sound.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
1st thank you for your service!!

2nd buy the Boss you won't be disappointed. I've has 60 plus cars and the Boss is by far the most fun and coolest car I've ever owned (every time I look in the garage I smile and driving it I'm smiling even more) The list includes a couple 930's, 2 termi's, and a 1200hp GT500.

Deranged2013

Established Member
1st thank you for your service!!

2nd buy the Boss you won't be disappointed. I've has 60 plus cars and the Boss is by far the most fun and coolest car I've ever owned (every time I look in the garage I smile and driving it I'm smiling even more) The list includes a couple 930's, 2 termi's, and a 1200hp GT500.

The Boss does seem to put a smile on my face. If I'm having a bad day, just go drive the Boss and it's all good. On a good day, it's even better. I call it throttle therapy and I'm addicted. Best car I've riden or driven.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
The Boss does seem to put a smile on my face. If I'm having a bad day, just go drive the Boss and it's all good. On a good day, it's even better. I call it throttle therapy and I'm addicted. Best car I've riden or driven.

I should suggest throttle therapy to the recreation therapist I work with. I'm sure the patients would love it!

cbj5259

Established Member
I've owned several mustangs, and assorted other muscle/sports cars and the Boss is my favorite to date. While I must admit I have never owned a Porsche, it seems to me that these are two very different cars that achieve the same goal. As far as sound goes...the Boss with trackey and open side pipes has the best stock exhaust I have ever heard on a production car that wasn't made in Italy and costs over $200k. Get the Boss and you will smile every time you mash the business peddle.

svt1111

Established Member
I'll chime in here.

I had a 2012 Boss, loved it! It went 11.50's with nothing more than tires and a tune. It enabled me to consistently lap cars in my run group ( Int. 1) on my first and second trips to a road course. Overall, it was a phenomenal car! I miss it, I won't lie.

I traded it this past November for a 911 Carrera S. Now the S is a great car, and I love driving it, but as you know from owning yours, there is nothing quite like a Porsche 911. Having said that, it is no Boss 302. I think if you've already had a 911, and it sounds like you have a 996, going up to a 996 TT, well besides the power and overall respect those cars have vs. regular 996's, I'd say go the Boss route this time. Unless you are talking 997 TT, then I'd be all over that, simply because the 997's look so much better inside and out.

Compared to my 997, the Boss wasn't quite as rewarding to drive on track, although the motor in the Boss is light years cooler than the NA 997 S. But for track work, I like the 997 a lot better. Its tough to beat the braking and handling of a 911 on track. I know there are guys who have Boss's who are faster than 911's, blah, blah, blah, but all I know is from my own personal experience between the 2 cars, I am faster on course with the 997 S. And yes, when I had my Boss I did lap guys in Carrera S's (driver mod).

The Boss is cheap to mod with bolt ons, and will run with a chipped 996 TT pretty much. Try the Boss, you won't regret it! Or get a 997 Carrera S, can't loose either way!

Users who are viewing this thread