How does one get started in car sales?

nxhappy

Established Member
fact: on average, car salesman only make 40-50k a year.

If you are fine with those numbers, then go for it. And yes I know this is the average. But you can't expect to make 100k or more.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I always figured a salesman that lies to me might sell me a car, but one who is honest and takes care if me, might sell me many cars over a long period of time and will get introduced to folks I know.

Yeah it really is all about managment. It all depends on if they believe in that. There are the sketchy buy here pay here type places that will tell you what you want to hear because they want to sell you one car and never see you again.

High end dealerships want to establish a long term relationship just like you are saying. We used to bend over backwards to make sure customers were happy and would be repeat customers. Not only do you get sales over the long term, but also service repairs.

Jmurrz

Established Member
fact: on average, car salesman only make 40-50k a year.

If you are fine with those numbers, then go for it. And yes I know this is the average. But you can't expect to make 100k or more.

Yeah in my experience most guys were in the 50-80k range (BMW Dealership) although there are a few seasoned guys who were in the 100+range. There was a guy at a competing store who was doing 400k+ per year. He was in the top 3 salesmen in the country so definetley not typical.

The biggest thing you have to realize is that the hours are pretty horrible and get wearing quite quickly when dealing with people who are time wasters. That must be factored in.

If you do decide to persue it, try to make connections. It is all about who you know. Donate to charities & events. Networking is your bigest advantage over any other salesman.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would like to think I spread a little sunshine and occasionally trigger silver spooned know it alls.

Sounds like someone woke up this morning and ate a big bowl of jealousy. lol

Please tell me you work a 40 hour a week job.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jealous=Negative
Work= Yes
Triggered silver spoon know it all= too easy.

Haha I'm in no means triggered, nor do I care what you think.

I've worked 65-75 hours a week since I was 21. I don't have anything to prove to you lol

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member

I've worked 65-75 hours a week since I was 21. I don't have anything to prove to you lol

All I said was car sales man are not the only guys in the know. Your retorts are what delusional triggered people resort to.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All I said was car sales man are not the only guys in the know. Your retorts are what delusional triggered people resort to.

I don't think car salesman are the only guys in the know? Where exactly did I refute that?

Machdup1

Established Member

I've found that most successful sales people, spend a lot of time developing successful strategies to demand generation which result in the long hours. This often differentiates the successful sales folks from those who struggle by waiting for business to come to them.

What is the most interesting (and successful) marketing approach you have seen a salesman use to fill his own pipeline with clients, rather than waiting on the dealership's advertising methods (print, social media, internet, etc.) to draw clients on to the lot.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've found that most successful sales people, spend a lot of time developing successful strategies to demand generation which result in the long hours. This often differentiates the successful sales folks from those who struggle by waiting for business to come to them.

What is the most interesting (and successful) marketing approach you have seen a salesman use to fill his own pipeline with clients, rather than waiting on the dealership's advertising methods (print, social media, internet, etc.) to draw clients on to the lot.

Facebook has gotten HUGE. Sales consultants typically have their own "business" page. They will share a picture of themselves with a customer every time they sell a vehicle while tagging the customer; that way it gets on the customer's page as well and all their friends see it.

Another good approach I've seen is networking in person. It is easier for guys/gals that have an affluent friend base, as those people buy vehicles, the people in their circle of friends can buy vehicles, etc. I always carry a dozen business cards on me at all times. Every time I tip at a restaurant I always leave a card. Every time I meet someone that needs to contact me about anything (not even business related), instead of exchanging numbers I hand them a card. Any time someone helps me out at a retail store or in general and I felt like they had exceptional customer service skills, I give them a card (I've hired a few this way).

Overall, social media is the biggest player. It's free, and you can reach a ton of people instantly.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
My,god. Never again. I worked,in auto finance for 7 years. 14 hour days. 7 days a week. No holidays. No. Wont ever do that again.

Machdup1

Established Member
Facebook has gotten HUGE. Sales consultants typically have their own "business" page. They will share a picture of themselves with a customer every time they sell a vehicle while tagging the customer; that way it gets on the customer's page as well and all their friends see it.

Another good approach I've seen is networking in person. It is easier for guys/gals that have an affluent friend base, as those people buy vehicles, the people in their circle of friends can buy vehicles, etc. I always carry a dozen business cards on me at all times. Every time I tip at a restaurant I always leave a card. Every time I meet someone that needs to contact me about anything (not even business related), instead of exchanging numbers I hand them a card. Any time someone helps me out at a retail store or in general and I felt like they had exceptional customer service skills, I give them a card (I've hired a few this way).

Overall, social media is the biggest player. It's free, and you can reach a ton of people instantly.

I'm going to steal the idea of handing out cards.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm going to steal the idea of handing out cards.

I started doing that when I got a new phone number, as I didn't have it memorized yet...then I started noticing how it was turning into business and have been doing it ever since.

I feel like that should be super obvious to anyone in sales...

You'd think a lot of stuff would be super obvious to people. But, I get surprised every day.

Users who are viewing this thread