How does a firewall adjuster work?

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
I have a Fiore firewall adjuster. My clutch doesn't feel very "grabby" and I want the clutch to engage with the pedal closer to the floor.

Which way should I turn the firewall adjuster?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
You loosen it by turning it clockwise to get the clutch to engage sooner. You really just want a gap of 1/8" - 1/16" between the black cable shielding and the silver knob. You can see that gap by grabbing the shielding and pulling it out toward the front of the car and looking for the 1/8" gap there opposed to pulling the cover plate off the bell housing and looking for the gap.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
You loosen it by turning it clockwise to get the clutch to engage sooner. You really just want a gap of 1/8" - 1/16" between the black cable shielding and the silver knob. You can see that gap by grabbing the shielding and pulling it out toward the front of the car and looking for the 1/8" gap there opposed to pulling the cover plate off the bell housing and looking for the gap.

:beer: Thanx

MVD

Established Member

The correct way to make sure you are not ruining the TOB though is to take the extra 5 minutes and remove the inspection cover on the side of the trans. That is the only way to be sure the TOB is not riding the PP fingers while in nuetral.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
The correct way to make sure you are not ruining the TOB though is to take the extra 5 minutes and remove the inspection cover on the side of the trans. That is the only way to be sure the TOB is not riding the PP fingers while in nuetral.

You can verify it by pulling the cover plate off and making sure there is enough of a gap there but I have not had a problem by checking the way I previously stated, although yes looking at it directly will give you an exact reading. I don't have a lift so it takes a lot longer than 5 mins for me to check and then recheck since I can't leave the car running and adjust.

Josh

MVD

Established Member
You can verify it by pulling the cover plate off and making sure there is enough of a gap there but I have not had a problem by checking the way I previously stated, although yes looking at it directly will give you an exact reading. I don't have a lift so it takes a lot longer than 5 mins for me to check and then recheck since I can't leave the car running and adjust.

Josh

I don't have a lift either but I still can adjust mine in 5 minutes.

Leave car idling in neutral, set emergency brake, jack up driver front of car, slide under car with 10mm wratched and remove inspection plate, check TOB and adjust firewall adjuster until satisfied.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
jack up driver front of car, slide under car

Hmm just lost a little respect from me on that one:cuss:! You or anyone should never slide under a car with only a car jack holding it up! It's like playing Russian Rouhlette! Do it right and put some jackstands under both sides of the front of the car. That cars falls with you that far under it and you're dead!

MVD

Established Member
Hmm just lost a little respect from me on that one:cuss:! You or anyone should never slide under a car with only a car jack holding it up! It's like playing Russian Rouhlette! Do it right and put some jackstands under both sides of the front of the car. That cars falls with you that far under it and you're dead!

LOL.....sorry for the quick write up on instructions, how did I know someone was going to point that out. Anyone who works on a car should know that a jack and jack stands go hand in hand.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Thank God you use one then. Makes me squirm when I see/hear of someone not using them.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I just run mine up on boards if I can get away with it, the only time I use a jack is when I do suspension/brake work unless I have to get the car up pretty high.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
I know this thread is old but I can't adjust mine any further clockwise to loosen the pedal up. I have No gap and can't get it to turn anymore. It's a upr adjuster. What do I do?....

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
I know this thread is old but I can't adjust mine any further clockwise to loosen the pedal up. I have No gap and can't get it to turn anymore. It's a upr adjuster. What do I do?....

If you need more slack in the cable it sounds like you need to replace the quadrant as well.

prostkr

Established Member
The upr adjusters are known to gall the threads. A replacement may be needed. I have a few laying here that no longer turn.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
My quadrant is billet aluminum. I know the adjust moves in and out but There is not enough room to move farther in. Does this mean It's the cable or the adjuster? I don't see How could have a bad quadrant..

Users who are viewing this thread