How do you tell your kids that you're deploying?

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
I'm coming up on another deployment here and the biggest part for me is trying to think of how I should tell my son that I'm going to be gone. When I was gone the first time he wasn't quite two years old, so he didn't really grasp the whole situation, just that daddy was "on a plane" for a year. Now he is six years old.

I know the easiest way is to just sit him down and explain the whole situation, but I know it'll break his heart to know I'll be gone. So what have you family guys done to kind of ease the news?

-Eric

Sprayed2v

Established Member
I have no response for this. Just want to say good luck and thanks for what u do.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Sitting him down and letting him know what is going on is best. Make sure to let him know that you will still be in his life through letters/email/skype what ever means you have, don't make promises as to how often since it is beyond your control. Clear up any thought he may have that it may be something he did that has you leaving, that it is your job. Making plans for when you get back can also help. May wanna make clear that house rules do not change while you are gone.

I am on deployment #6 and the leaving really doesn't get easier

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Man up and tell him the truth. Don't make up some story. Let him know what you do and why you have to do it. He will understand soon.

<---Vet with 2 deployments

blownbywhipple

Established Member
I'm coming up on another deployment here and the biggest part for me is trying to think of how I should tell my son that I'm going to be gone. When I was gone the first time he wasn't quite two years old, so he didn't really grasp the whole situation, just that daddy was "on a plane" for a year. Now he is six years old.

I know the easiest way is to just sit him down and explain the whole situation, but I know it'll break his heart to know I'll be gone. So what have you family guys done to kind of ease the news?

-Eric

my advice is don't tell him your going to war he doesnt need to worry daddy might not come home. Let him know that you are deploying and all your buddies are coming with so you'll be safe and that you will able to see him on the computer chat. Just my two cents

<~~~ vet with 5+ deployments

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Hey champ...gonna be gone a bit...if mommy has strange men over hit me on the sat phone!

j/k..like someone said..no need to tell him what your doing but be straight and let him know he has to be the man of the house and help out mom. It's never easy... btw....still slip him a sat phone number..lol

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I told my daughter that I had to go over there to fight the bad guys. sounds kinda corny but she understood and she thinks going to fight the bad guys is a good thing. Figured that was the easiest way to explain it to her.

96project

Established Member
Agree.. just tell him you got to go away on work and tell him what your job is over there. Make sure you tell him you'll still talk to him and skype. If you lucky like me you'll be able to call home everyday if you want and have the internet.

<~~~ currently playing in the sandbox

steves04cobra

Established Member
I have two kids and am on my 6th deployment. Just tell him you'll be gone for awhile and that you are going to put bad guys in jail. He'll think of you as hero then. Just dont tell him the truth, you dont want to scare him.

Fuerza

Established Member
I personally didn't tell my son I was going off to war (Afghanistan) just told him I was working "in the field" for a while. He understands when I'm in the field I'll be gone for a while.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Just tell him straight up. It's the way I did it, and all seemed to work out well. Going on my third now, so it has just become a part of the job. He gets it. He's only 7 now. Just keep up on the phone and skype. The little dude needs to know you're still there :).

Good luck!

11bangbang

Established Member
I told my daughter that I had to go over there to fight the bad guys. sounds kinda corny but she understood and she thinks going to fight the bad guys is a good thing. Figured that was the easiest way to explain it to her.
This...I told my two boys the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread