How do You Remove a Stainless Bumper Insert

SuperG

Established Member
...and re-attach it?

I stuck the stainless letters on my new black paint...oh man does it look good...but, a gremlin got into my garage and moved the "A" up, so now it looks bad!

How do I get the letter off safely and then re-attach it?

Thanks for any help!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
not to thread hijack, but...

I'm repainting my bumper, would I be safe with placing stainless steel insert within a week of getting it repainted? or should I have to wait a month or so to let the paint 'cure' or set in?

97cobraheaven

Established Member
paint should be good once it leaves the shop, they bake the car or whatever part they paint

and i think heat may be your best option for removal as well

uofipilot

Established Member
To OP - I'd use a blow dryer just to get it a little warm and gooey (giggidy) and then use fishing line to get it off.

And to ChrisScott, I'd wait at least a month. We got a car back from having a dent in the hood fixed (roofer dropped a tape measure off the roof onto the hood...oops), and they said dont wax it for at least a month. They advised to only wash it lightly with very little soap. They might have just been covering their asses, but really, whats a month? I'd wait and play it safe.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Alright sounds good, once I get them painted, I'll end up being lazy and by the time I actually order, receive, and ready to slap those things on..it'll be a month, lol

BTW I plan on painting them myself. I have a gun and a paint booth I can paint at, although I don't believe it can bake [I'll have to ask], but by the time it leaves, it'll be completely dry and ready to go! thanks for the input, despite this not even being my thread, lol

+1 life points for SVTP

My94GT

Established Member
use heat to ge it off. as for waiting how long to put them on freash paint. we stick emblems on car as soon as they come out of the paint booth pretty much at the body shop i work at. the old wait a month befor you wax thing is pretty much a thing of the past. we wash and wax on freash paint all the time. ive yet to see it go wrong

hope this helps

My94GT

Established Member
Thanks everyone! BTW, what glue do I use?

3m sells double sided tap and adheasion promoter kits that work good or they also sell an emblem glue it comes in a tube, it works really good just takes a while to dry so you may have to use some sor of tap to hold down what you glue till it sets up. any automotive store should sell either

SuperG

Established Member
A spray, huh? I'll try it, but I'll make sure I find a replacement letter, too!! I see 3M spray glue is sold at many stores, so it looks like that'll be easy to find.

Thanks guys!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Before you spray the glue, just be sure to put a piece of masking tape over the polished side. that shlt can get everywhere. You only need a tiny spray.

Also, a friend of mine bent one of his polished letters with a buffing wheel. He called the manufacturer he bought them from and told them it was falling off, and they sent out a new letter to him for free.

Users who are viewing this thread