How do you Polish Aluminum?

helluvasnake

Established Member
How do you polish satin aluminum to a mirror finish? For Example: The Intake, Altenator, maybe even a supercharger? Just save a few dollars and do it my self. Thanks Andrew.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
found a couple really good sites here they are
http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/polishing101.html
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
I assume that is what you are refering too
in a nut shell get some 80, 120, and 220 grit sand paper and go over the piece ALOT getting all the little imperfections out with the 80 grit working your way down to 220 then get the polishing compount black first then blue then white. It works VERY well Im doing a set of rims once I get the compounds.

ImslowRU

Established Member
I polished bike frames for some of my friends and for the best results you need to sand with 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, 400, 800, 1500. Only start with 80 if it is very course. I used fiber sanding disks on a die grinder with the bike frames to remove the anodizing and get the casting smooth. With 400, 800 and 1500 you can wet sand for best results. The key to the high shine is in the sanding not the polishing. Once I had it all sanded properly I could have a high polish in seconds with the buffer. If you only sand to 220 or 320 the polished surface will still have micro sanding lines which make it look grainy and take away from the shine. If what you are polshing is small it is best to use a bench grinder with the sewn buffing wheel, but for large objects you can use a high speed drill (1500 to 2000rpms)with the buff. It is a very dirty job and takes time and practice for it to look perfect. My fist bike was mine and it took about 40 hrs, but most people ask me if I had it chromed. I will post a pic when I get to my computer.

HAVE FUN!

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
I polish all of my billet aluminum with 2 different products with spectacular results every time:

-Mothers incredible billet polish (available at any auto parts store - about 12.00)

-Boyd Coddington polish (17.00 through Boyd Coddinton)

The Boyd stuff is made by Heavy Metal and is awesome for quick polish jobs. The Mothers is by far the best stuff ive ever tried.

Blue Magic is good as well, although harder to apply and take off.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
shouldn't be any big deal, especially if you could get the right wheels, I would suggest a truck shop, to find the wheels used on doing the small holes in aluminum wheels, it makes things go such easier. I use california customs purple metal polish.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
voodoo snake your sig is bad a$$ I’m a big fan of scareface

Last edited:

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
helluvasnake said:
I was thinking of polishing my supercharger myself when I get it ( save money). Has anyone ever done this themselves?

Yep, I have. I wish I had a before pic to show the roughness of the casting of the Kenne Bell supercharger before. But here are some during and after pics. (the sheet metal upper plenum was bought already polished)

26298-240-14240.jpg

26298-240-14239.jpg

26298-240-14242.jpg

26298-240-14238.jpg

26298-240-14765.jpg

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
funny this was posted
i was thinking of doing my lower intake and the mount for the supercharger while i have the motor out, maybe even the front cover

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
What do you guys suggest to seal the aluminum? I have been doing some pieces in my car with aluminum, and putting a satin (brushed) finish on them. The problem is when ever I get done if I even touch it before clearcoating without clean gloves the aluminum sucks up the oil in my fingers, and I have to start over. I have been clearcoating them when I get done, but would like to use a sealer instead if there is one to give it a more natural brushed aluminum look, and avoid the clearcoating all together.

TIA :beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
so just to bring this back from hte dead a little bit, is there a specific sand paper to use for alu? or is sand paper sand paper? aside from wetsandpaper that is

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I used aluminum oxide sand paper it sais for metal and wood so thats what I used. it worked great. Im now having hell trying to get in the little corners.

Users who are viewing this thread