How do you install the steeda firewall adjuster?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Well, my clutch cable snapped about a month ago and since I dont drive the car during winter, I figure id get to it in the spring, due to the lack of winter, I did it today, I got the steeda kit with the quadrant, cable and blue firewall adjuster, I replaced the whole wire and it seems like the previous owner already had the steeda quadrant installed but NOT the firewall adjuster, so I just installed it without. However, I would like to install in eventually, how does it install? The instructions suck. Seems like the brass piece goes in the middle of the blue adjuster and the plastic piece on the end of the cable goes in the middle of that, but none of that fits? Anyone have pics so I see what im doing wrong?

racermatt

Established Member
1) At the bellhousing, remove the plastic splash shield. Use a prybar to slacken the clutch cable and disconnect it from the fork. Disconnect the cable from the firewall.

2) Pull the rubber bushing off of the end of the clutch cable where the cable meets the firewall. File the 4 small bumps off of the end of the clutch cable (adjustable cables and 82-93 stock cables only). Insert the clutch cable into the Cable Adjuster.
1994-2004 MUSTANG USING STOCK CABLE:
Pry the metal flange which bolts to the firewall off of the cable. Unhook the plastic coupler and pull it off the cable sheath. Cut through the coupler to remove it from the cable. Pull the rubber bushing (which was under the coupler) off of the cable. Place the bronze adapter bushing into the Cable Adjuster. Insert the clutch cable into the Cable Adjuster.

3) Install the cable and Adjuster into the firewall and connect the cable to the Double Hook Clutch Quadrant. Attach the cable to the hook closest to the firewall. Use a small screw to attach the Cable Adjuster to the firewall.

4) Reconnect the clutch cable to the clutch fork.

5) Adjust the clutch by turning the Cable Adjuster. Be sure the clutch fully releases when the pedal is depressed, and the clutch is fully engaged with light tension on the cable when the pedal is released. The self locking mechanism of the adjuster will make sure it never gets loose. Just turn it and let it click into place. To adjust the tension of the click you can loosen or tighten the set screw slightly.

Here are the directions. If you have the clips on the flange of the cable they have to be filed off. If you have these clips you do not need the spacer. But, if this is for your Cobra, you should not have the clips(bumps) on the end.

Did you order the kit for a 83-95 (555-7040) or a 96-04 (555-7041)?

Just let me know if I can help with anything else. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread