How do you guys do a standing-brake burn out?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Do you just step on the brake, put the car in gear and step on the gas at the same time? Or do you use the manual break leveler? I see people do this all the time, but I've never understood how it's done.

03CobraRed

Established Member
Drop the clutch as if you were going to do a burnout normally but when you let off the clutch slam on the brake with your left foot and feather the gas pedal so you dont hit rev limiter. Just be sure to watch your Revs

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraRed
Drop the clutch as if you were going to do a burnout normally but when you let off the clutch slam on the brake with your left foot and feather the gas pedal so you dont hit rev limiter. Just be sure to watch your Revs
:thumbsup:

Also watch the fact that the car will sway from side to side with all the torque spinning the tires!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Do as stated above, but don't use the hand brake! Hand brakes are for front wheel drive cars, and don't work well even then.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
But won't you just smoke the rear-end brake pads by doing this? When you press the brake pedal, doesn't all four corners brake?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
But won't you just smoke the rear-end brake pads by doing this? When you press the brake pedal, doesn't all four corners brake?

Yup. That's why I won't do this. It's hell on the rotors and pads. Line lock is the way to go.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
In the context of a dragstrip: Roll up to the burn out box, make sure the rear tires are centered in the water, put the car in first and spin the rear tires one full revolution to get them wet but not soak the wheel wells too much (dripping water = loss of traction shortly after you launch). Idle out of the burnout box in first and up to the edge of the damp pavement. Stop. Put the car in second, watch the tach and the tach only, rev it to 4000rpm and dump the clutch. At the same time as dumping the clutch take your left foot and cover the brake and hold it just enough to make sure the car doesn't move. ALSO, use your right foot to keep the revs at exactly 4000rpm.. don't let it swing wildly..

Now, watch both rear view mirrors, once you see smoke in both, remove your foot off the brake, car starts to move forward. It will suddenly hook and lunge forward, as soon as it lunges push in the clutch and roll up to the starting tree and light your first staging bulb if appropriate. Enjoy!

97whitecobra

Established Member
Or side-stepping (right heal on brake and right toe on gas pedal)instead of the dump and slam on brake. Just another way.

tommygun

Established Member
and dont go thur the water box with stock radial tires (drag radials yes, F1s no)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
When using the brakes, all four don't engage at the same time. The front two grab first, then if it senses that you're wanting to stop NOW, then all four will help out. It knows how fast you want to stop based on pressure on the pedal. Redardless, it IS hard on the car. Line Loc is the best option if possible.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
Line Loc is the best option if possible.
:beer: How do i know? Smoked clutch doing a burn out and heated the blower up. Line loc rules.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I drive around the waterbox and back the car into it so I don't soak the front tires and of course wet the track. I do heat up even street tires.. I drop the tire pressure to 19lbs and heat them up and as *soon* as I see smoke from the tires I let off the brake. With drag radials I do the same just look for more smoke. And yes a line loc makes this way easier on the car and brakes!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by Xplicit
:beer: How do i know? Smoked clutch doing a burn out and heated the blower up. Line loc rules.

EXACT thing that happened to me. "WOoooo..hell yeah! Look at that burnout baby!! I'm smoking up a storm." *Afterwards* "Man, you know that burnout you did? Well, your rear tires wern't even moving man.." :eek: :bored:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by Andorion
How does Line loc work / what is it? I assume it's a way to engage just the front brakes?

~Berj

Line loc engages the front brakes without you having to touch the pedals. That frees you to use the clutch and gas at will, without ever using the rear brakes accidentally.

tommygun

Established Member
I went 1.88 60ft at 32lbs with my 18s not touching the water box, just a small spin to clean them off

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by tommygun
I went 1.88 60ft at 32lbs with my 18s not touching the water box, just a small spin to clean them off

K.C.I.R.? Are you going to the Ford vs. The World next weekend out there?

tommygun

Established Member
I did the 1.88 @ St louis during WFC

I might attend the race here, Ill have to see how picky they are going to be with cages

Users who are viewing this thread