How do you get $ to mod from an accident?

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
Hello everyone,

I was in an accident about a month ago where I was hit by a car that did not have its headlights on at night. I just won in court the other day, so she has to pay for all of the damages. The estimate from the body shop both exterior and mechanical is $4000. (new rear quarter panel, paint, new wheel, and tire, left halfshaft and hub)...

I really want to go to a live axle and have some $ of my own to add on. How do you get the other insurance company to give you the money to fix rather than them pay the bill of dealerships work?

for instance, the dealership wants $350 for a rim, another $350 for a stock Eagle F1, and well over a grand on labor and parts for the rear end. How do i get this money for myself so i can by aftermarket rims, better tires (dr's) and go to a live axle while spending very little.....

any help or examples is greatly greatly appreciated!!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If it is the other persons insurance company you can request that they cut you a check and see what they say.

It also depends on the insurance laws in your state and if you have a lein against the vehicle.

It cant hurt to ask!

Good luck

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Usually just get an estimate for how much it's going to be then say hey I want this money to go somewhere else to get it fixed and they'll give you a check to do with as you please/

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I think they will be happy to give you a check provided you sign their release of liability. That way they don't have to worry about you coming back dissatisfied with the repairs or discovering additional damage later. Make sure you check thoroughly for hidden damage before you sign so you aren't surprised after you have spent the money.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Just get the insurance company to get the car fixed as perfectly back to normal as humanly possible, with the least amount of inconvinience to you; then use the money you saved up for mods. I wouldnt risk loosing acountablility regarding fixing your car properly for tryin to do a few mods. If you sue and get EXTRA money, then spend that. Make them fix the car perfectly, as soon as you deviate from stock, they dont have to fix shit down the road.

TrophyCar

2wheels are better than 4
Established Member
In my experience, I always got the quote from a mechanic who was willing to order and install aftermarket parts for me. A friend was recently sandwiched in an accident. He'll be getting a body kit put on the car instead of the factory bumpers and he only has to pay $150. Woohoo!

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by TrophyCar
In my experience, I always got the quote from a mechanic who was willing to order and install aftermarket parts for me. A friend was recently sandwiched in an accident. He'll be getting a body kit put on the car instead of the factory bumpers and he only has to pay $150. Woohoo!

a body kit:bored: Jen we need to work on ya some;-)

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
If it is the other persons insurance company you can request that they cut you a check and see what they say.

It also depends on the insurance laws in your state and if you have a lein against the vehicle.

It cant hurt to ask!

Good luck

Adam is absolutely correct.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I just think with rear quarter damage, the person fixing that car REALLY has to know their shit. Id be much more concerned of the car being returned to "right" first then changing things that may inadvertantly mask how the vehicle was fixed.

TrophyCar

2wheels are better than 4
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
a body kit:bored: Jen we need to work on ya some;-)

Oh come on! That's not so bad. I personally passed up the body kit and the cf hood. I'm waiting to get the new suspension, hopefully convert to a 5 sp tranny this summer sometime, and chip it.

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
sweet......looks like i might be gettin a live axle baby.....

Dont you have a live axle already. IRS = Live Axle, right? I think what your talking about is a solid axle

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I'm thinking they're the same.

It's a "live" axle b/c it's a direct connection to the transmission, and it's a "solid" axle b/c it's a direct connection w/ nothing seperating it, it's just a solid piece of alum. or metal

That's my understanding of it :read:
:D

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
BTW..when you get the money for your parts dont get your wheels from your dealer and pay 350 you can get them new for 175. And if you want to do different bumpers hood you can for the same price as stock parts if not cheaper. good luck!

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
Originally posted by shanker
You are an accident magnet! Remind me never to get a ride with you! I rember your '99 Cobra that looked like a horseshoe behind Packey-Webb.

touche'......but not my fault......

seems people just love hitting my black mustangs..its a curse i tell ya!

oh well, ill atleast profit enough $ for some DR's, and ill be gettin some chrome rims......some 14mm IRS bolts...and bushings if i keep the IRS.....

BTW, she had some fleabag insurance company....so they better pay up....or else.......lawsuit! haha.....then i can get the rest of my car paid off muhaha!

Users who are viewing this thread