How do you flush out the intercooler

oldmodman

Established Member
If you are referring to the part under the blower, the first thing that you need to do is remove the blower and it from the engine. Then use a couple of cans of carb cleaner to wash out the oiled up air passages that go from the top to the bottom. If you are talking about the water passages in the intercooler I guess that you could just flush it with radiator cleaner.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
gmynko said:
I think my IC may be gunked up. How do you flush/clean it out?
What symptons would have you feel this is true? Is your IC pump going and circulating coolant?

The best way to "flush" it would be to setup the jumper wire mod to manually run the pump with the engine off. Remove the upper reservoir hose and put the end of the hose into a clean gallon milk container. Jump the IC motor and allow the coolant to go into the milk carton. You can pour water from a seperate mile container into the reservoir as your doing this and it will flush all the old coolant out of their. Just be sure you don't let the reservoir level get too low or the pump may suck in some air and lose cavitation.

I actually did this last night when I put a new ice box on. But, I run water in the summer time due to having to constantly drain it at the track.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
I flushed it using the garden hose technique (both directions) and no gunk came out. So that is not the problem. I've been having decreased flow into the IC reservoir, but the pump was just replaced and all the tubing/piping/hoses are not kinked and the HE is brand new. Yet, mt IAT2s hit 233. I wonder if the new IC pump is bad or if the IAT2 readings are false.

IronTerp

I'm asuming you have an aftermarket heat exchanger. Are any of the hoses kinked? Have seen several instances of this.

Last night when I drained mine, the pump filled over half a milk carton in approx 15 seconds. Even though it's sometimes hard to tell in the intercooler reservoir, you should be getting some good circulation if the system is 100% functioning.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
IronTerp said:
I'm asuming you have an aftermarket heat exchanger. Are any of the hoses kinked? Have seen several instances of this.

Last night when I drained mine, the pump filled over half a milk carton in approx 15 seconds. Even though it's sometimes hard to tell in the intercooler reservoir, you should be getting some good circulation if the system is 100% functioning.

I looked over the hoses and they don't seem kinked. Yes I have an aftermarket HE.

What size milk carton?

IronTerp

gmynko said:
I looked over the hoses and they don't seem kinked. Yes I have an aftermarket HE.

What size milk carton?
Gallon milk container. This would be a good test to see your volume of IC fluid pumped in a specific amount of time.

SpectorV

Established Member
I try to drain/fill mine every 10k miles or so.. sure it wont get all of it but if whats in there isnt dirty then its not as big of a deal. You can drain it and fill it and jump the pump off and let it cycle the system to get the air out.

SpectorV

Established Member
IronTerp said:

I need to check this, when I installed my JLT I had to push the hoses a bit, I made sure they were not in a bind but you simply never know~ its a great idea to check.

IronTerp

Gord's actually sends an extra clamp to use on one of the hoses to prevent it from crimping. Can happen pretty easily with the new position of the hoses with some of the aftermarket HE's.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
IronTerp said:
What symptons would have you feel this is true? Is your IC pump going and circulating coolant?

The best way to "flush" it would be to setup the jumper wire mod to manually run the pump with the engine off. Remove the upper reservoir hose and put the end of the hose into a clean gallon milk container. Jump the IC motor and allow the coolant to go into the milk carton. You can pour water from a seperate mile container into the reservoir as your doing this and it will flush all the old coolant out of their. Just be sure you don't let the reservoir level get too low or the pump may suck in some air and lose cavitation.

I actually did this last night when I put a new ice box on. But, I run water in the summer time due to having to constantly drain it at the track.

Any links to this "jumper wire mod" for flushing th IC???

Thanks...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread