How do you correctly jack up IRS?

W30bob

Established Member
When I'm in my driveway with only a floorjack and jackstands what's the proper way to lift the rear of the car? Can you place the floorjack under each aluminum A-arm without hurting it? Or should I use a block of wood and lift the center differential? The owner's manual only covers flat tires, which is irrelevent if you want to lift the whole rear of the car. So what are you guys doing?

Thanks,
bob

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I think the best way to do it is to put the jack under the IRS subframe (using a block of wood).

I believe jacking on the A-arm or differential could damage the IRS.

fubu795

Banned
I always put the jack under one of the aluminum arms and JACK it up, the car will lift up on both sides, however not evenly. But if your jack goes high enough, then you will be able to throw some jackstands under there.

I've done this a million times changing my tires at the track, saves time vs. jacking each side up one at a time, never a problem so far.

mosconiac

Established Member
To avoid twisting the car excessively, I do either of these:

1) Drive the car up on the Rhino ramps and jack under each A-arm just enough to slip the ramp out and place a jack stand under the torque box.

2) Place a jack under each A-arm and pump away. Naturally, this requires two floor jacks.

Be careful jacking under the A-arm. It is not an irregular surface, so it is easy for the jack to slip under load...I had it happen when changing springs. I am very careful of where I place the jacks pad.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yea, if jacking up the rear by the A arms can cause damage to the IRS, then we have a big problem!

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I jack the rear of the car up with the hydraulic floor jack placed under the 4" black IRS arm just to the inside of each wheel. I roll the jack in front of the rear wheel, place it under the IRS and up it goes. I use a small piece of wood so it doesn't mar the IRS. It goes up a little unevenly on both sides but then I place a pair of jack stands under the lower aluminum control arms right near the tires and then lower the car onto the jack stands.

Users who are viewing this thread