How do you cops keep up?

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Just curious how you cops keep up with all the new laws that come out. Do you receive internal memos? or have to go look it up all the time or what? I'm just cuious how the "back-end' system keeps up with the guys writing the laws.

Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
What new laws? There arent that many new laws. There are changes in interpretation of laws by various courts, but as far as totally new laws there arent many.

And police arrest people based on their actions/investigation and the prosecutor determines the final charges.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Well I heard there are some new laws in CA that if you get caught stree-racing that your car is destroyed or something... don't know how true it is, but anyway, there were also new laws JAN 01 2003, such as if you accelerate through a yellow (even if you dont go over the speed limit) you can get a ticket.. things such as those new types of laws I'd like to be on the "distro" list, if there is such a thing, lol.

For instance, it use to be before 01JAN03 that if any part of your vehicle was in an intersection while the light was yellow, then it doesn't matter if the light turned red on you while you were in there. Now its different, if you're in the interection whatsoever when it turns red, you're busted (this is what I was used to anyways coming from the communist wealth of Virginia)... but anyway, if you don't keep up on these little changes in laws, you could be thinking you're okay, and you're really not... so I was just wondering how everyone kept up to date on this stuff.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Those are often defined in an inservice class. But again, the things you are talking about come after the ticket/arrest as those are determined by the prosecutor.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
There are several new statutes covering street racing here in California. In some cases your car can be impounded, but I've not heard of the destruction issue you mentioned.

The growing method here is to infiltrate the racing circuit to a point where an undercover officer is in attendance at a large street racing event. He will take photos, capture license plate numbers, etc. Once he builds his case with evidence that the participants aided and abetted in the illegal racing activity, the DA's office files the charges, warrants are issued and the officers go out and make the arrests, sometimes weeks later.

sbro712

Established Member
We get memos, followed about a week later by the PD legal advisor coming to briefing, giving a speech and then answering questions from us.

It happens here in Sept. of every odd numbered year.

Ginsu

Established Member
By legal updates covering new or updates on existing laws as well as case law. Also every department has mandatory in service training where a part of that time dedicated to the above.

Users who are viewing this thread