How do you adjust a Bump Steer kit on a 93 Cobra?

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
I just recently lowered my 93 Cobra and I put on a new steering rack with offset MAC rack bushings. I purchased a Steeda bump steer kit and I will put it on with some caster camber plates. I put on some H&R Super Street springs along with Koni adjustable shocks and Steeda quad shocks. I cut down mu bump stop approx 1 inch to allow more suspension travel. I hope that this is a good combo. I purchased most of these items on Ebay. I am on a budget sice I became a Father. Is there a way to adjust the bump steer kit before I take it to get alligned? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Randy
Black 93 Boosted Cobra
#4424 :rockon:

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
First, take out the offset rack bushings. You have the bumpsteer kit so you don't need them anymore. Put in the camber caster plates and then get an alignment. The bumpsteer kit should come with three different sized spacers. You should put the medium sized spacer between the bump steer and the control arm (yellow arrow). This will be good to get it to an alignment shop. The correct way to adjust bumpsteer is to have a shop winch your car to the floor and adjust the stops under full suspension travel ... while the suspension is bottomed out. A lot of shops won't want to do this though b/c they don't have the resources or knowledge. Good luck. Here is the best pic I have of when I did my bumpsteer. The yellow arrow shows the spacer I am refering to:

f0rj3k.jpg

Last edited:

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Your car is beautiful. Would it cause any damage if I leave the offset rack bushings on the car and use them with the bump steer kit? It was a pain for me to install the steering rack. Thanks for your time.

Randy.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
99cobra99 said:
Thanks for the reply. Your car is beautiful. Would it cause any damage if I leave the offset rack bushings on the car and use them with the bump steer kit? It was a pain for me to install the steering rack. Thanks for your time.

Randy.

No damage but the offset bushing are a "band-aid" for not having a bumpsteer kit. You're just not allowing the bumpsteer to do what it is fully capable of doing. If you decide to remove the offset bushing make sure you do it before the alignment. BTW - Thanks for the compliment. :-D

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
I will try to remove the offset rack bushings and replace with oem bushings. I want my car to take advantage of the bump steer kit. Thanks for your help.

Randy. :rockon:

red93cobra

Banned
Since you're taking it apart anyway, I'd replace the rack bushings with some MM aluminum bushings instead of the OEM ones. I've got a new set i never got around to installing if you want them.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
How much for the MM rack bushings including shipping? Do you accept Paypal?

Thanks,

Last edited:

red93cobra

Banned
I'll ship them for $25. I just looked in my toolbox, and saw a pair of urethane endlinks from MM also. I'll throw those in the box too for free. They are shorter than stock, so you don't bend or break them like you will the stockers. I prefer a money order, but if you really want to use paypal, that's fine (i hate using them for anything).

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
MM bushings.

Thanks, what is your Paypal account name? I will send payment today via Paypal.

Thanks,

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
93Cobra#908 said:
I'll ship them for $25. I just looked in my toolbox, and saw a pair of urethane endlinks from MM also. I'll throw those in the box too for free. They are shorter than stock, so you don't bend or break them like you will the stockers. I prefer a money order, but if you really want to use paypal, that's fine (i hate using them for anything).

Damn ... that's a good deal

red93cobra

Banned
tunedin302 said:
Damn ... that's a good deal

That's what happens when you have parts laying around that you get sick of looking at, and someone else can use :beer:

I think that's about it though...all i have left is a 93 black center console frame and a NOS 93 black lower seat cover.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
93Cobra#908 said:
That's what happens when you have parts laying around that you get sick of looking at, and someone else can use :beer:

I think that's about it though...all i have left is a 93 black center console frame and a NOS 93 black lower seat cover.

PM me a price on the center console frame if you have a chance.

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
MM bushings.

I need your Paypal account name so I can pay you today for the Maximum Motorports aluminum rack bushings. Thanks for your time.

Randy :rockon:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
93Cobra#908 said:
I want $100 for it, but local pickup only, because it's too much of a pain to ship.

Awh man, now I gotta use this guy ............. :mj:

99cobra99

1993 Black Cobra Modded
Established Member
Mm Rack Bushings

I just sent you payment via Paypal. I appreciate the deal you gave me.

Thanks again,

Randy

Black 93 Cobra #4424
BOOSTED
93-KOBRA :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread