How do the Pirelli 255-40-19s handle wet and cold weather?

Erich

Established Member
Previous summer tires (firestone sz50s) were great in the rain but turned to hard plastic below 40 degrees. Are these pirellis any better?
Erich

Erich

Established Member
Actually, I saw a good deal of variation between two different generations of SZ50s. The earlier were horrible in the cold. The next set was much better. So it stands to reason, some progress can be made in the temperature sensitivity of these tires.

So when is your car slated to come in?
Erich

Lone Star

Established Member
Previous summer tires (firestone sz50s) were great in the rain but turned to hard plastic below 40 degrees. Are these pirellis any better?
Erich

The stock 19" Pirelli's are all season, so far so good in the rain but haven't had mine through a winter yet.

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
Actually, I saw a good deal of variation between two different generations of SZ50s. The earlier were horrible in the cold. The next set was much better. So it stands to reason, some progress can be made in the temperature sensitivity of these tires.

So when is your car slated to come in?
Erich

I still don't have a VIN and my dealership is looking for anything I like that is close while I wait.

The stock 19" Pirelli's are all season, so far so good in the rain but haven't had mine through a winter yet.

yes and no... The tires on the on NON BREMBO cars are all season but the tires that are BREMBO EQUIPPED cars have summer tires.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
In wet weather the PZero Summer tires perform pretty well. When the temps start to dip though, they don't perform so well.

You can still drive on them in cold, but dry conditions. You'll notice some skidding during slow tight turns and you can't expect them to put the power to the ground if you're stomping on the throttle. But if you just want to take your car for a winter cruise on dry roads, you'll be fine.

I did have several "opportunities" to take the car out on the snow last year right after I purchased it. ON level roads with snow pack it's "doable" if your extremely cautious. Add any sort of grade where loss of momentum can occur and don't expect to go very far.

If your car will see any snow at all I would recommend NOT purchasing the PZero summer tires. Or, just make sure you get a different set of wheels/tires that are meant for colder temps and snow.

Lone Star

Established Member
I still don't have a VIN and my dealership is looking for anything I like that is close while I wait.

yes and no... The tires on the on NON BREMBO cars are all season but the tires that are BREMBO EQUIPPED cars have summer tires.

Thanks, I had no idea. Im obviously the non brembo 19"s

Erich

Established Member
In wet weather the PZero Summer tires perform pretty well. When the temps start to dip though, they don't perform so well.

You can still drive on them in cold, but dry conditions. You'll notice some skidding during slow tight turns and you can't expect them to put the power to the ground if you're stomping on the throttle. But if you just want to take your car for a winter cruise on dry roads, you'll be fine.

I did have several "opportunities" to take the car out on the snow last year right after I purchased it. ON level roads with snow pack it's "doable" if your extremely cautious. Add any sort of grade where loss of momentum can occur and don't expect to go very far.

If your car will see any snow at all I would recommend NOT purchasing the PZero summer tires. Or, just make sure you get a different set of wheels/tires that are meant for colder temps and snow.

Thanks, that is the kind of experience I was looking for. Trying to figure if they are totally horrible or not. If it they were crazy bad, I would not want to risk it. But this gives something to think about.

Ironically, it is those tires that is holding up my order-according to my dealer. Lots of brembo orders.

05_Evo-Are you set on Kona Blue? I will keep my eye out at the various dealers my way in MD. I know of two white ones and one Black.
Erich

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Thanks, that is the kind of experience I was looking for. Trying to figure if they are totally horrible or not. If it they were crazy bad, I would not want to risk it. But this gives something to think about.

Ironically, it is those tires that is holding up my order-according to my dealer. Lots of brembo orders.

05_Evo-Are you set on Kona Blue? I will keep my eye out at the various dealers my way in MD. I know of two white ones and one Black.
Erich

Realistically, if you know for a fact that your car will see snow, I wouldn't be looking at a summer performance tire at all. None of them are designed to work in cold temperatures especially in snow and ice.

This decision will literally save your life.

Best bet is always a proper snow tire, but if you don't have the coin for a set of snow tires and summer tires, invest in a quality performance all season.

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)

Erich

Not set on Kona at all. My dealer actually brought in a Premium Yellow Blaze brembo car and I'm going to work a deal tonight after work...

On topic. My last car 2010 WRX had summer performance tires and awd. That car SUCKED in the snow until I got proper snow tires.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
They are a soft tire, They will be good on cold winter pavement. The bad, The tread pattern isn't made to handle snow or ice, Hence the label summer tire.

FWP!

Established Member
I took my car out of winter storage about a week to early because a snow storm came through and dumped about 4" of snow everywhere. My sticky summer pirellis turned into plastic, BUT, I was able to drive without TOO much trouble. I had to start moving out of a parking lot, turn right and go up a fairly steep grade in 3" of slush/snow and the car to my surprise actually made it up the hill, and then another 45 minutes to work like that. I thought I was going to have to take a day off of work but it made it.

In the rain they're pretty good. They like to suddenly break loose, but they stick pretty well up until that point. Oh and yea, they're WAY less stickier below about 50 degrees.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
They are a soft tire, They will be good on cold winter pavement. The bad, The tread pattern isn't made to handle snow or ice, Hence the label summer tire.

Negative. They SUCK below 40, dry pavement or not. I bought my car in February, unaware that there were summer tires on the car. First turn I came to, driving the speed limit mind you, the car slid out from under me. From then on, I was extremely cautious until it started getting warmer.

It's possible to drive in the dry when cold, but be careful...you'll discover the car skids extremely easily. Don't expect to be able to accelerate quickly, or stop quickly. If it rained or snowed, I was driving my 85 F150.

I plan on replacing my set with some all season's before it gets cold out.

Digital_Synapse

Established Member
Erich

The original equipment ultra high performance, dry weather-only summer tires provide
superior steering and handling. Never drive with these tires in any wet conditions (rain, snow,
ice, etc.) because they cannot channel water away and will slide risking serious injury. Ford
does not recommend using these tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40 degrees F
(5 degrees C) or below. Consult the Owner's Guide for recommended tires in these conditions.

After researching on the internet, this didn't seem to be the case, so I sent an inquiry to Pirelli and got the following response:

We thank you for your recent inquiry. The Pirelli P Zero is an ultra high performance summer tire and will perform in both wet and dry conditions. They have a high temperature resistance and they will not be damaged by the high temperatures experienced during summer. Pirelli summer tires should not be used at or below 45F degrees ambient temperature. Also, we would greatly
appreciate it, if you could email a picture of the sticker you are referring to.

Pirelli Tire North America
Consumer Affairs
Attached thumbnail(s)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The biggest problem with these threads is that there are a LOT of mustang owners that think all the tires on all the cars are the same.

The Perellis on the standard brake cars are PZero Nero's, while the Brembo equipped cars come with PZero's. Further complicating this, the Brembo equipped convertibles come with Goodyear Eagle Supercar tires.

Both the PZero and Supercar tires are summer only and are outright dangerous on winter roads that aren't 100% dry. The PZero Nero is a performance all season that will handle the cold and snow with some efficiency.

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
It also seems that the boss has a pirelli on it that is a DRY weather summer tire.
If it snows, I take the Jeep.
To me the issue is how bad the tires are in cold temp. MD does not see alot of snow but plenty of temps below 40.
ERich

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It also seems that the boss has a pirelli on it that is a DRY weather summer tire.
If it snows, I take the Jeep.
To me the issue is how bad the tires are in cold temp. MD does not see alot of snow but plenty of temps below 40.
ERich

Mind your P's and Q's and you should be okay. Definitely check teh weather report for freak snow though!

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
Not set on Kona at all. My dealer actually brought in a Premium Yellow Blaze brembo car and I'm going to work a deal tonight after work...

On topic. My last car 2010 WRX had summer performance tires and awd. That car SUCKED in the snow until I got proper snow tires.

O please god.... do not buy that color!

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
I remember my first snow storm with the brembo Pirelli's...It was about as much fun as slamming your dick in a car door.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Negative. They SUCK below 40, dry pavement or not. I bought my car in February, unaware that there were summer tires on the car. First turn I came to, driving the speed limit mind you, the car slid out from under me. From then on, I was extremely cautious until it started getting warmer.

It's possible to drive in the dry when cold, but be careful...you'll discover the car skids extremely easily. Don't expect to be able to accelerate quickly, or stop quickly. If it rained or snowed, I was driving my 85 F150.

I plan on replacing my set with some all season's before it gets cold out.
Show me where the tire has a warning don't drive below this temperature. They are called summer because of the tread design. The problem with winter roads is even when they look dry they store moisture. This tire is designed for dry roads. And preform best in warmer temperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread