How do the 13/14 GT500's compare quality wise and known issues with the 03/04 Cobras?

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
As we all know, the 03/04 Cobras had their share of issues: ticking heads (bothf my 03 and 04 had this issue; and this was only truly resolved when they released redesigned heads in January of 05), warped rear bumpers, driveshaft issues with vibration at 80 MPH, thin paint on the hood, etc... Has the quality/workmanship improved on the 13/14 GT500'S? Body panel fittment, paint quality, orange peel? What about any mechanical issues? Does the transmission/clutch have any issues like the ones reported on the regular 5.0 GT'S?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
How do the 13/14 GT500's compare quality wise and known issues with the 03/04 C

As we all know, the 03/04 Cobras had their share of issues: ticking heads (bothf my 03 and 04 had this issue; and this was only truly resolved when they released redesigned heads in January of 05), warped rear bumpers, driveshaft issues with vibration at 80 MPH, thin paint on the hood, etc... Has the quality/workmanship improved on the 13/14 GT500'S? Body panel fittment, paint quality, orange peel? What about any mechanical issues? Does the transmission/clutch have any issues like the ones reported on the regular 5.0 GT'S?

Totally different car. none of those issues

There have been some isolated clutch issues (like less than 2% of the members here). And a very small percentage reported rear gear whine

And everyone hates the tires, they suck below 50* out

My 6500mile 13Shelby had ZERO fitment , quality, or mechanical issues

That being said- scroll through this section- there's a TON of information.

dwish

Established Member
Can't speak for the GT500, but my September 2002 build date Cobra hasn't had any of the aforementioned issues after 57k miles. Even if the GT500 turns out to have "issues," they are most likely few and far between...much like the Cobra. Test drive before you buy!

Also, I think the only thing shared between the two are the emblems. The newer Mustangs are awesome.

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
I have owned 2 04's and both never rattled, ticked, ate alternators or anything (they both hissed though) The fit and finish wasnt perfect but no muscle car from thar era was. That being said that was almost 10 years ago and domestic quality is day and night better compared to the past. Ford build quality has improved a lot since then. So far issues have been spotty. Some clutch issues, some complain of the brakes but so far nothing crazy. Most haven't put enough miles on them yet or have gone crazy with mods like in 03/04 so that helps.

You will not be unhappy with the 13/14'. It's the best of the best. Glass roof is a must IMO.

Last edited:

03outlaw

Established Member
I'm with dwish, my September 02 built 03 has zero issues! Now I only have 5,600 miles, but regardless you will have a small % of issues with any product... So far my 13 is awesome, but only 407 miles :) good luck!

br549

Established Member
Look boys the uaw has been running the Detroit "qaulity" thing for years. This why we are losing!

USV8PWR

Established Member
Look boys the uaw has been running the Detroit "qaulity" thing for years. This why we are losing!

Ahem...there is not another car built that has more HP than the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500, or the 2009 to 2013 Corvette ZR1 for that matter, that has a better powertrain warranty. There is not a car built with this much horsepower that gets this kind of fuel economy, has this kind of reliability, is as easily serviced at any SVT Ford dealer, etc.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
OP - you mentioned paint quality/orange peel. I had read the all 14 Mustangs are using some new 3 part wet paint process. Anyone seen any of the 14's paint vs 13's? Any comments appreciated!!!

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Not for long....They know what's on the line now. Make good quality cars....Or start looking for a bailout, preferably not in the US.....Right Chyrsler AHEM ....I mean Fiat!!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

I never had the tic or 80mph vibe on my '03. It was a great car from day 1. The paint did end up showing a lot of rock chips on the hood eventually but I have no way to compare that to my Shelby 10 years down the road (I sold my '03 after having it for 10 years).

What I CAN say is the interior is significantly better than my '03. Although I liked the way the '03 interior flowed better than most people seemed to, but there were still rather large gaps around the shifter panel and console area. The Shelby doesn't have anything like that. The shelby DOES have a hood fitment difference. The gap on the passenger side is larger than on the driver side and seems to be fairly consistent on most cars I've seen on the board here. The stripes on the front splitter area shows the seams on the Shelby, and I have paint runs on the underside of each of my foglight slots. Even with these issues though, I can say with confidence the GT500 is buttoned together much better.

And everyone hates the tires, they suck below 50* out

My 6500mile 13Shelby had ZERO fitment , quality, or mechanical issues

I don't "hate" the tires, but I know I'm in the minority.

You have a well put together car then if you have none of the issues I mentioned. Congrats! :beer:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys. It appears like the quality has improved leaps and bounds. Both my 03 and 04 Cobras ticked horribly and were bought back by Ford as lemons. The rear bumpers warped, and back in the days everyone used to say that the paint on the hood was as thin as a hooker's nail polish, LOL:) It literally just peeled off with time due to chips and such. I am glad that at least the new Shelby's are mechanically sound. Does anyone know why the Recaro seats are not powered? Went to see one today, and the interior was great. Surprised though not to see hood struts and push button start though. Can anyone tell me why did Ford only fit 285's in the back? What is the widest tire that will fit on the stock rim? I imagine that the reason they went with not too wide of a tire was to create less drag and achieve the advertised top speed of 200 MPH? Thanks for all the help fellas.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Just remember when something breaks...a wear item or not...
488053_10151322578920698_1891991586_n.jpg

lethal

Established Member
I've had zero issues with my Cobra, other than the requirement of gas, insurance, and tires =) I did my own amount of rough housing in it, and at 75K miles, its been great.

Of course, still debating on whats going to happen to it once the 14 arrives. I think I might go to carmax, have them give me the no haggle price, then list it on ebay for 5 days with a start price of carmax. If I get more, then the winner gets all the extra toys, rims, predator, etc.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Thanks for all of the input guys. It appears like the quality has improved leaps and bounds. Both my 03 and 04 Cobras ticked horribly and were bought back by Ford as lemons. The rear bumpers warped, and back in the days everyone used to say that the paint on the hood was as thin as a hooker's nail polish, LOL:) It literally just peeled off with time due to chips and such. I am glad that at least the new Shelby's are mechanically sound. Does anyone know why the Recaro seats are not powered? Went to see one today, and the interior was great. Surprised though not to see hood struts and push button start though. Can anyone tell me why did Ford only fit 285's in the back? What is the widest tire that will fit on the stock rim? I imagine that the reason they went with not too wide of a tire was to create less drag and achieve the advertised top speed of 200 MPH? Thanks for all the help fellas.

At risk of sounding like a dick, and please understand I'm not trying to. All of these questions have been answered in multiple threads in this section.

But I'll oblige

Recaro seats aren't powered- because race car. Really- weight and cost savings

Hood struts- cheap mod- multiple thread a on who has the best. You can even order them painted. Remember the chassis of this Car is a $22k mustang.

Tires- Hameedi (svt Cheif) explains why in multiple videos on the Internet. Has to do with oversteer/under steer issues. And multiple people here have done a 305- some have even widened the wheel and done 315- without modification of suspension

The top speed is the reason for the 3.31 gears- along with over coming the gas guzzler tax

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
^^^ Thanks Chris, not sounding like a dick. You answered my questions in one post, versus me having to search multiple times, and even at that, information may always be outdated in previous threads/posts. I have seem Hamedi's explanations, but I do not buy it. I think the reasoning behind going with the 285's is for them to be able to claim the achievable top speed of 200 MPH. I think that they tried wider tires, but were not able to reach the said top speed with them, due to the increased drag and rotational mass. But that is my theory, and it really does not matter:) I would not want to widen or change the wheels or suspension, so it appears like the widest tire while maintaining everything else stock are 305's? Understood regarding the chasis being based on the V6 Mustang, and hood struts being cheap. The only cool thing that I like that I found missing is the push button start, but no car is perfect:) I just need to be able to find one that I can drive now. I searched used at dealerships, and the nearest one is 100 miles away, so I will have to make a special drive for it.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
I never had the tic or 80mph vibe on my '03. It was a great car from day 1. The paint did end up showing a lot of rock chips on the hood eventually but I have no way to compare that to my Shelby 10 years down the road (I sold my '03 after having it for 10 years).

What I CAN say is the interior is significantly better than my '03. Although I liked the way the '03 interior flowed better than most people seemed to, but there were still rather large gaps around the shifter panel and console area. The Shelby doesn't have anything like that. The shelby DOES have a hood fitment difference. The gap on the passenger side is larger than on the driver side and seems to be fairly consistent on most cars I've seen on the board here. The stripes on the front splitter area shows the seams on the Shelby, and I have paint runs on the underside of each of my foglight slots. Even with these issues though, I can say with confidence the GT500 is buttoned together much better.

I don't "hate" the tires, but I know I'm in the minority.

You have a well put together car then if you have none of the issues I mentioned. Congrats! :beer:

You are the minority...In which I am too included. Iget what people say, but I get around just fine in them, even in some very scary weather I happened to be in once, still did ok. I just don't punch it every 5 seconds like some folks do....

JvKintheUSA

Established Member
No issues with OEM tires. They are great summer tires, and you just have to be careful when driving in colder weather. Also, no issues with the car at 6,700 miles.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My biggest issue is paint.

Found several small bubbles after owning it a few months. There's also an ugly paint spot up under a quarter window that if anywhere else would look horrid.

Everything else seems solid thus far... I'll assume the overflowing brake fluid was resolved on the factory end of things...

Someone must've been watching my thread on that end...

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
^^^ I did have issues with paint on my previous 01 Lightning, and both Cobra's as well. The Lightning was the worse case, and basically had to almost be entirely repainted. There were clear coat runs on the tail gate, palm prints under the clear in the hood, dirt under the clear coat, etc...

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

^^^ I did have issues with paint on my previous 01 Lightning, and both Cobra's as well. The Lightning was the worse case, and basically had to almost be entirely repainted. There were clear coat runs on the tail gate, palm prints under the clear in the hood, dirt under the clear coat, etc...

I would hope- that with the new paint process installed at flat rock- that almost any paint issue will be fixed.

Myself and 72machone99gt had the 1st two cars here. I had one little odd paint bubble on a door edge which I had fixed, and I also had the over filled brake fluid reservoir (totally forgot about that!)

Seems those issues are both resolved

Users who are viewing this thread