how do i tune my cobra myself?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need something like SCT's Pro Racer Package. You need a wideband to watch A/F at WOT. Preferably one that can be hooked into whatever datalogging software you're using. And lots of patience. It's a bit of a learning curve.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll have to go through a dealer. I paid around $300 for the software. I already had the wideband and Xcal2. If you go SCT you'll want to get the Lasota Racing instructional DVD. It helps a lot.

cbr repsol

Established Member
So if u have that package can u tune other cars as well? or is it specific to your car? I say that cause maybe u could help me if interested?

cbr repsol

Established Member
Honestly money is not a issue . I can afford a tune from a shop . I was just trying to be different and try something new. It really cant be that hard, i have a friend that tunes efi out of his garage. he hooks his lap top to the car and goes to work. he doesnt have the right software for my cobra. He tuned his sons efi 502 big block in a 80's chevy dually. It made 700 rwhp without the twin turbos's. This guy i know is no joke..

01yellercobra

Established Member
So if u have that package can u tune other cars as well? or is it specific to your car? I say that cause maybe u could help me if interested?

It's specific to your computer code. You can add one other code to the security dongle. I'm thinking about adding the 06 GT we just picked up for the wife.

i honsetly would just spend a lil extra cash and have a professional tune it....imo

If you end up buying the software and hand held, the cost is about the same. However, if you need to tweak or change something, it doesn't cost you anything. I've been through 2 two MAFs, two sets of injectors, and 3 motors. It's nice changing things as you need to. Plus you know exactly what's going on with your car.

Honestly money is not a issue . I can afford a tune from a shop . I was just trying to be different and try something new. It really cant be that hard, i have a friend that tunes efi out of his garage. he hooks his lap top to the car and goes to work. he doesnt have the right software for my cobra. He tuned his sons efi 502 big block in a 80's chevy dually. It made 700 rwhp without the twin turbos's. This guy i know is no joke..

I won't say it's not that hard. The basic set up isn't bad. Setting the MAF transfer is the biggest part of it. If that isn't done correctly then you'll never get it working right. You just have to make sure all the little things are set up correctly. Manifold volume, injector delay, O2 transport delay, etc.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It helps a lot when you have someone you can ask question. There's also a forum for the PRP guys. More then likely someone has asked the question you have and the answers range from simple to something needing an engineering degree to understand.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
SCT is now offereing a "training" class for 400+ bucks. This is for the SCT Pro-racer users, as well as the shop owners themselves...etc. I'd highly recommend tapping this as a resource.

The SCT PRP training manual(75 bucks I think) is really helpful if you're new to the SCT software. It'll give you some starting tips and help keep everything safe.

07vert

Established Member
not to be a dick bro but if yer askin how to tune it yerself, its not something yer gonna wanna do yerself. you cant just pick up some tuning software and expect to know what yer doing by looking at fuel/timing tables. chances are you'll be lost and if the car is acting a certain way during the tune (ie lots of knock at low/high loads) you wont know how to correct for it and will probably end up with a cooked motor.

the only way to learn tuning is LOTS and lots of experience, or everyone would know how to tune and no one would pay a dime for good tune.

01yellercobra

Established Member
We all have to start somewhere. I didn't know a whole lot about tuning when I started. But I asked questions and took my time.

07vert

Established Member
We all have to start somewhere. I didn't know a whole lot about tuning when I started. But I asked questions and took my time.

agreed, start reading first...i wouldnt just start changing the timing tables and fuel tables without knowing anything...its alot more involved in that...lots and lots of reading.

01yellercobra

Established Member
agreed, start reading first...i wouldnt just start changing the timing tables and fuel tables without knowing anything...its alot more involved in that...lots and lots of reading.

Definitly. You should be able to get a base tune from whatever dealer you buy the software from. That helps a lot right there. Then you just tweak to get it 100%.

07vert

Established Member
Definitly. You should be able to get a base tune from whatever dealer you buy the software from. That helps a lot right there. Then you just tweak to get it 100%.

sounds like its alot easier with these cars...

tuning subaru's and evo's is pretty complex and not something that should be attempted unless you have alot of experience. :shrug: guess im just stuck in the subaru tuning mindset

01yellercobra

Established Member
sounds like its alot easier with these cars...

tuning subaru's and evo's is pretty complex and not something that should be attempted unless you have alot of experience. :shrug: guess im just stuck in the subaru tuning mindset

I can't compare since this is the only experience I've had tuning. There are a lot of little things that make the difference in a good tune. Getting the main stuff like the MAF transfer and timing set doesn't take long. Getting the driveability dialed takes awhile. At least it did for me. But that could be because I'm anal about stuff like that.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I can set you up with a base file and the pro-racer software and point you in the right direction, but there is still A LOT to learn.

The pro-racer software is $350 and I charge $99 for a base tune in MTF format.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: SCT Pro-Racer Software Only V3.0

You may also want to check out the manuals on my site.

I also heard Greg Banish from calibrated success is working on a Ford Tuning DVD, his GM tuning DVD is really good.

I have a lot of customers I support tuning wise for their combos, but I'm very busy with everything, so if I can help you do it yourself then its not a bad thing if you change stuff around often.

Users who are viewing this thread