How do I tell one steering rack from another?

draxxus131

Established Member
So the question is basically in the title of the thread. Figured with the great knowledge base here there must we a way to identify the difference between a Boss 302 EPAS rack and a standard GT EPAS rack from the exterior of product? I ask out of curiosity mainly thinking of the people who went down in size with wheels i.e. 19" to 18", these people reported steering shudder and jerking when driving around town. I do realize NOT everyone experienced this same issue, others even experienced it with changing the rotors to aftermarket.

silver50

Established Member
So the question is basically in the title of the thread. Figured with the great knowledge base here there must we a way to identify the difference between a Boss 302 EPAS rack and a standard GT EPAS rack from the exterior of product? I ask out of curiosity mainly thinking of the people who went down in size with wheels i.e. 19" to 18", these people reported steering shudder and jerking when driving around town. I do realize NOT everyone experienced this same issue, others even experienced it with changing the rotors to aftermarket.

As far as I know they are the same EPAS rack for both the boss and regular GT. A lot of the steering shudder and jerking has been seen with people that lowered their cars. Vorshlag wrote an article about it and even had a video. If there is a difference, my bad, but I have been on this forum for over 3 years of owning my 2011 GT and haven't seen anything that say they are different between the two EPAS

draxxus131

Established Member
The problems I've read about and in emails straight from Vorshlag themselves along with BMR, all tell me it was the lower control arm bushings causing a heinous shudder and jerking. You may want to watch the video all the way through, they really never make a comment about lowering the car, just the fact that they installed control arms with upgraded durometer bushings; I just watched it yesterday for the 10th time.

Also almost every place that sells Boss 302 EPAS racks they state after an *, this steering rack is intended for racing purposes. Which I find odd for them to say, then again it has been proven time and time again that both steering racks have completely different software involved. Also there is a big price difference between a GT rack and a Boss 302 EPAS rack anywhere you look, that has to say something right there.

Users who are viewing this thread