How do I take off my coolant crossover tube?

19984V

Established Member
Long story short it's rusted and i want to paint it.

Tried to get it off today and i couldn't figure out how.

I unbolted the plug wire holder bracket on top of my alterator, and unclamped the hoses and undid all the bolts i could see but i couldn't pull it out. What am I missing? It looked like the ends were going into my IMRC delete plates.

Thanks

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
You took out the bolts that hold the tabs of the tubes correct.If so use force/wiggle and some WD40 they will come out.

19984V

Established Member
Hmmm i guess I didn't wiggle it hard enough, didn't feel like it was giving any at all. Ill try the wd40 =) I noticed some electrical connection on the right and left sides connected near the bottom of the tube. The one of the right is SUPER hard to get to! Any advice on unplugging it?

Thanks a lot for your fast responses

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
wiggle wiggle dude. those electrical connections on each side are the ECT and temp gauge sensors I believe. I had to remove my crossover tube to get at the ECT when i replaced it. I honestly didn't bother removing coolant from the system. just pulled it, let it pour a bit and then topped it off/burped it when i put it back on.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i need to take mine off. it has some rust on it also. i might try to pull it off soon.

19984V

Established Member
Whew finally got them off, those things did NOT want to come out lol. I just let the coolant spill, i have a bolt welded to the burp hole (best 4V mod you can do lol).

Thanks again for the advice guys, going to sand them and paint them tomorrow :]

19984V

Established Member
Just got done sanding them down, that last lair of coat was a pain the as$ to get off.

Mine were terrible, i have a nice clean engine bay and then you see the rusted pipe and its like.. ugh.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
be careful to paint it well, I did mine last summer and its starting to rust again, guess i will have to pull it off again to fix, but I have become an expert as i took it off about 8 times last summer lol. it sucked a little less each time once I got good at it, plus some PB blaster helps if its never been off before.

19984V

Established Member
I couldnt get all of the preexisting powercoat off because my sander somehow melted? Anyways i did get all of the rust off and repainted it.

If it starts rusting again ill send it in and get it sandblasted and re powdercoated

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i used my dremel with a good sanding wheel and the paint came off real easy. it only took my like 15 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread