How do I remove black center on faux cap?

teamstorm02

Established Member
I'm getting rid of the "GT" on the back and before I start prying on this thing trying to pull it off, I figured some of you guys might know. Does it just pop off? Or is it all one assembly? Do I have to pull the whole thing off? Or will I be able to remove just the center?

Hopefully I can just pop it out
d0362899-dbb4-f255.jpg

byeofcr

Established Member
Its not just the cover, under it theres a metal ring or hump(drawing a blank for a better word) thats the same shape as the cap. The cap is mounted on this. if you pull the cover off, your gunna have to cut it off and smooth it.
Here like this:
CDF4A9C5-E343-4C2F-91AF-D86AC5B477FE-2394-000001CC895D3BCE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fake

Established Member
Get your wife’s or girlfriend’s hair drier and heat it up good and hot. It's held on by double sided tape and two tabs. One of my tabs broke which is no big deal because you can still mount it back or replace it with something else. Once it's heated up, pry it very gently. You will eventually be able to get your finger under it to pull it off.

Last edited:

2012GTCS

Established Member
He is trying to remove just the BLACK circle in the middle....

OP, the only way to get that center piece off its to drill out the plastic pieces that hold it to the rest of the faux cap. So, you need to remove the whole cap and then attack it from the rear. The company that sells those "5.0" center pieces has a write up on how to do it.

teamstorm02

Established Member

OP, the only way to get that center piece off its to drill out the plastic pieces that hold it to the rest of the faux cap. So, you need to remove the whole cap and then attack it from the rear. The company that sells those "5.0" center pieces has a write up on how to do it.

Thank you! I'm putting something different on there. What is the company that has the write up? Because that would definitely help me out a lot! Once again thank you!

SicShelby09

Banned
Thank you! I'm putting something different on there. What is the company that has the write up? Because that would definitely help me out a lot! Once again thank you!

I dont know about the others that replied, but I personally have removed the faux gas cap. The black plastic piece is plastic rivited on there, and needs to be broken off to get it off. And you will not be able to put another one on. I would not attempt this because you will destroy the whole thing. Its three pieces, but they are not meant to be seperated and reassembled. Just buy another total faux gas cap and work on that one. But the one on your car will be destroyed if you try to disassemble it. Steve at tousley can get you whatever one you need. The whole faux gas cap is like $45. I have the black plastic CS cap on my wall, but there is no way it would attach back without just gluing it back on. That is hokey as shit and wont hold long.

teamstorm02

Established Member
I dont know about the others that replied, but I personally have removed the faux gas cap. The black plastic piece is plastic rivited on there, and needs to be broken off to get it off. And you will not be able to put another one on. I would not attempt this because you will destroy the whole thing. Its three pieces, but they are not meant to be seperated and reassembled. Just buy another total faux gas cap and work on that one. But the one on your car will be destroyed if you try to disassemble it. Steve at tousley can get you whatever one you need. The whole faux gas cap is like $45. I have the black plastic CS cap on my wall, but there is no way it would attach back without just gluing it back on. That is hokey as shit and wont hold long.

Ok well that being said I guess ill have to do it on the car without taking it off.

kingnut

Established Member
It would be nice if it was smooth under there. I like the clean look.

SicShelby09

Banned
It would be nice if it was smooth under there. I like the clean look.

Yeah that comes up from time to time. Too bad for us. Its uglier than sin under there. Im sure it you brought it to a body shop, they could pound it flat and fill the holes and not too bad of a fee and spray it to match. I personally would have it sprayed flat black there if I had that shaved. But I dont have mine anymore so ohwell.

kingnut

Established Member
Yeah that comes up from time to time. Too bad for us. Its uglier than sin under there. Im sure it you brought it to a body shop, they could pound it flat and fill the holes and not too bad of a fee and spray it to match. I personally would have it sprayed flat black there if I had that shaved. But I dont have mine anymore so ohwell.

a couple guys on here have done it. it looks good, id like to see it on a 2013. or atleast if you could remove it on a 2013 and have a full black cover to cover up the hump and holes.

fake

Established Member

Ya, that is what I was telling him what to do. I bought one of those 5.0 badges. I've pulled the center black part off..... You don't use a drill. www.emblempros.com is where I ordered it from. You don't have to take the entire faux gas cap off or use a drill......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread