How do I polish bronze?

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
I have a bronze emblem thats raw and need to know how do I finish it? I do have a dremel, but no real experience with it. What I do know is that I should clearcoat it afterwards to prevent corrosion. So you can tell what I am talking about, its the one in the middle of this picture...
100_0555.jpg

Jim D.

Established Member
I've never had too much luck with dremels or buffer wheels as far as polishing -- it's somewhat of an art form, so maybe someone else can advise...

However, I'd attack it with a PowerBall Mini and some Mag & Aluminum polish, and finish with Billet Polish, depending on how much shine and how much patina you wanted.

Both polishes will leave some protection, but you could likely use a pure carnauba over it depending on how rough the finished surface is... I'm not sure I'd clearcoat it, though I understand why you'd want to... I think in the long run you'd regret it with potential chipping and flaking.

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
I would actually prefer to leave it in its unfinished state after grinding down the rough edges, but I am concerned because I read that since its a copper based alloy it will turn green. Its already a little green so I figure if I clearcoat it I should polish it up first. Is a powerball effective for such a rough texture? I thought they were used for wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread