How do I get these diff/subframe bushings out?!

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I just spent the day dropping my IRS in preparation for the following mods;

1) Billetflow diff brace
2) Bruce's Subframe bushings
3) Bruce's diff bushings
4) MM Control Arm bushings. (I went cheap, I know)

Now the IRS is out of the car, but I'm not even sure where to start to be honest. I began drilling out the subframe bushings but didn't have anti-seize so I didnt want to push the threaded rod and potential damage the threads on it so I put that on hold until I could get to it. For the sake of asking though, do I really need to crank the shit out of the tool to get the subframe bushings out? I'm using bruce's tool and the bushing is almost completely drilled out... I feel like I'm going to break the tool though?! It's taking a LOT of effort to crank on it, thats the main reason I stopped.

Next thing I tried to get started on was the removal of the diff bushings. I removed the two bolts in the front and the three in the rear and with the rear I can't wiggle the diff itself to gain enough room to pull the rear bushing out and it feels like something is still holding in the front diff bushings. Thoughts? I'm at a bit of a dead end and didnt want to risk damaging anything so I decided to take the rest of the day off and do some research, but I can't find much help using the search.

MysticDan

Established Member
First thing i did was take pics of everything.,then i started removing everything before i got to the diff. I had to wail on the sub-frame bushings to get mine out that was with 65,000 miles on the car. Anti-size will be your friend as the threaded rods do take a beating.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
First thing i did was take pics of everything.,then i started removing everything before i got to the diff. I had to wail on the sub-frame bushings to get mine out that was with 65,000 miles on the car. Anti-size will be your friend as the threaded rods do take a beating.

This is good info... I'll take some pics to make sure I get it put back together correctly.

In regards to getting to the diff. Did you remove the axles? Did you physically remove the diff from the carriage?

MysticDan

Established Member
Yea I took everything apart because i had everthing powder coated and was installing 3.73's. I got the full kit from bruce, with the solid rear diff bushing. It was a pain in the ass for me to get the diff back in the carriage due to everthing being so tight!! Love that tightness!!

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Yea I took everything apart because i had everthing powder coated and was installing 3.73's. I got the full kit from bruce, with the solid rear diff bushing. It was a pain in the ass for me to get the diff back in the carriage due to everthing being so tight!! Love that tightness!!

I can see that... any tips on getting it all back together? Things to be prepared for?

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I began drilling out the subframe bushings but didn't have anti-seize so I didnt want to push the threaded rod and potential damage the threads on it so I put that on hold until I could get to it. For the sake of asking though, do I really need to crank the shit out of the tool to get the subframe bushings out? I'm using bruce's tool and the bushing is almost completely drilled out... I feel like I'm going to break the tool though?! It's taking a LOT of effort to crank on it, thats the main reason I stopped.

Next thing I tried to get started on was the removal of the diff bushings. I removed the two bolts in the front and the three in the rear and with the rear I can't wiggle the diff itself to gain enough room to pull the rear bushing out and it feels like something is still holding in the front diff bushings. Thoughts? I'm at a bit of a dead end and didnt want to risk damaging anything so I decided to take the rest of the day off and do some research, but I can't find much help using the search.

I had to drill the living snot outta the stock sub frame bushings. I had almost no rubber material left touching the inner metal sleeve when I used the removal tool. Not a fun thing but, it makes a big difference when driving. :D

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I had to drill the living snot outta the stock sub frame bushings. I had almost no rubber material left touching the inner metal sleeve when I used the removal tool. Not a fun thing but, it makes a big difference when driving. :D

Same here. But it's all worth it in the end...

2390864IRSBushing.jpg

:beer:

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Anyone else got some tips?

Im curious to those who have done the entire bushing kit, How far did you break down the IRS? Completely? Remove Axles and diff?

Users who are viewing this thread