How do I get a website to come up on "Google"

jf4boogie

Established Member
Need a little help from the web savy gurus. I'm trying to get a website to show up on google and need to figure out the best way to go about it.

Yes, I did google how to, but there seems to be different and conflicting ideas on what really works.

The website is simple and basic but I need to go ahead and "get it out there" so to speak.

Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated :beer:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Need a little help from the web savy gurus. I'm trying to get a website to show up on google and need to figure out the best way to go about it.

Yes, I did google how to, but there seems to be different and conflicting ideas on what really works.

The website is simple and basic but I need to go ahead and "get it out there" so to speak.

Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated :beer:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization]Search engine optimization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I went to a a brief seo class for google and picked up a few things

If there is a places page for you already, take ownership of it (near the listing it will say "business owner?" click that and go through the steps.

One of the big keys is accuracy of information, they want it all to match. When you put the company name do it the same way every time, same spaces, dashes, periods, commas etc...same thing with your address and phone number. The more information you can get out there about your business, the more accurate/reliable it deems the information to be and the higher you rank in an organic search.

Google also has webmaster tools and analytics to show you how people are finding your site. You can research keywords and their usage and can narrow that information down geographically.

Whatever you do, do NOT try to "trick" google. If you put a wall of key words in white text for the background of a page they will find it and you will get dinged for it, things like that.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I haven't developed a web page for years but back then you placed keywords in the HTML code. The search engines would then find these keywords.
I don't even know if Google checks for them anymore.

txyaloo

Established Member
Hire an SEO firm.

If you aren't tech savvy, you're not ever going to get the page any decent exposure. You need good clean code. New and updated content that isn't available elsewhere on the web. Good inbound and outbound links to other highly ranked sites, etc.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Hire an SEO firm.

If you aren't tech savvy, you're not ever going to get the page any decent exposure. You need good clean code. New and updated content that isn't available elsewhere on the web. Good inbound and outbound links to other highly ranked sites, etc.

Gotcha. Guess that's what I needed to hear.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Gotcha. Guess that's what I needed to hear.

there are companies that are google certified etc, meaning theyve been through classes on appropriately creating a page to be ranked high and stay high. Some of the stories they had about what other SEO firms did to their site to get temporary high search results were pretty funny since I wasnt the one paying them

jf4boogie

Established Member
there are companies that are google certified etc, meaning theyve been through classes on appropriately creating a page to be ranked high and stay high. Some of the stories they had about what other SEO firms did to their site to get temporary high search results were pretty funny since I wasnt the one paying them

Well, the website has already been created using one of the "do-it-yourself" type of sites. Does that mean I have to start over, or can an SEO firm work with what we have?

Thanks

Monster Mach

Established Member
Really just start to google your own website.. then if you have a forum.. add any search engine optimization tool.. and make sure u keep your site clean

This is here just to piss you off :)

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I have #1 spots in google for various terms.

There is no set algorithm, and honestly, that's what makes Google the best. I have newer PR1 sites that are #1 in Google simply because the terms are infrequently searched and my site is the most relevant.

Then on the other hand I have PR4 websites on 10+ year old domains that aren't within the first 4 pages because the keywords I'm trying to target are frequently searched with a lot of competition.

Something like, 'mortgage refinancing' has way more competition than something like, 'chronic sinus infection'. :D

I would take txyaloo's advice, but I would be careful who you hire. A lot of SEO companies use blackhat methods.

How do I know if my SEO firm is using Black Hat Tactics? | SEO | ideaLaunch

If you're an affiliate marketer then your best bet would be to learn what's all involved in maximizing organic traffic. If you own another type of business and want some traffic from Google, hire an SEO firm and use Google adwords.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as SBo3 said...how much help you'll need getting your site found will in large part depend on what you're doing and how many other sites are out there doing it.

Also remember to think from the customers point of view and words people NOT familiar with your product or industry might search for. One example used at the seminar was a place that treated varicose veins to make them less visible, he came back and showed them that he was using "vein removal" in their google adwords advertising, even though they dont remove the vein thats what their target customers were using in their search and it has been their #1 keyword

Users who are viewing this thread