How do I eat cheap?

PSI87

Banned
So I'm spending more than I want to on food and I'm looking for some suggestions towards how to eat cheap. Ramen noodles really don't cut it. Peanut butter and jelly is only good so many times per day. I've been getting hungry man meals for 2.5 each and thats the best I've been able to do so far. i can get a personal pizza for about 1.50 but thats not too healthy. McDonalds offers a few options like a double cheese burger for $1 but thats really inconvient for me since I don't feel like walking a mile through the ghetto. Any ideas? I'm trying to get a lot of calories because I work out 4 or more days per week.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
che boyardee is cheap, but it has ALOT of sodium, of course so do those "hungry man" meals. If you want calories and you work out tuna is golden, and not that expensive. Also, grilled cheese/ grilled ham and cheese isnt too bad. Shop whats on sale, but id stay away from the sodium filled processed crap.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i say go for some value meal stuff at a fast food joint. If not that, just stock up on like mac and cheese ($0.90 a box) cereal maybe, stuff like that

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Pasta my friend. You can get quite a few meals from a 98 cent bag of spaghetti and a 98 cent can of hunt's tomato sauce.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
mhmm pasta, pasta sauce and ground beef... find it all on sale and for a few bucks u got a couple of meals that are high in carbs and protein... just what you need

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
grilled cheeze! quaker oatmeal (in the little keg), baked potatoes, potpies, bolognia sammitches, etc...

Fourcam330

Established Member
You can find Tuna on sale for 49 cents per can, sometimess less if it's a store brand--come to think of it I've seen Kroger albacore at 39 cents per can. I believe non albacore is usually at 79 per can. Also check out powdered milk (use it in homemade protein shakes), cheap, and a decent amount of protein.
As someone recommended above though, lean ground beef (sirloin, top round) can usually be bought for under $4.00 per lb. That's only a little over $40 a week at 1.5lbs per day--mixed with brown rice, pasta, etc.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Buy store brands, but be careful sometimes name brands with a coupon can be cheaper.

Start paying attention to price per quantity on stuff you buy a lot.

Yogurt, fresh fruit (bananas, bag of apples), etc. are good for snacks/between main meals.

Canned goods are your next cheapest. Green beans, corn, b.e. peas (nearly any type of peas) etc. can be put with nearly any meal and are CHEAP. Also ok leftover at least once.

Rice is good because it fills you up and is cheap.

Keep in mind here you have to get off your ass and cook at least once a day. You can also get a cooler/or brown bag it to lunch at work instead of eating out. Anything you buy at the store and make will be cheaper than eating out.

JasonSnake

Established Member
you can get some of that shredded chicken spread in a can too, great for sammitches

TacticalKaos

Established Member
If you're cooking at home you can eat pretty damn cheap by buying what's on sale and planning ahead. Starches are cheap as hell and if you buy stuff in bulk you're good. You can get a big ass thing of good chicken breasts for like 6 or 7 bucks. Just write a list for the whole week, stick to it and buy the stuff on sale. You'll use it eventually.

PDubs

Established Member
Frozen create-a-meal: $3
Chicken: $6
Rice: $8 (a bag will last forever)

Spread that over a few days, and you're eating plenty cheap for lunch and/or dinner.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
also making food at home is a ton healthier than those hungry man dinners... looked at the nutrition facts on those?

svtcontour

Established Member
Good stuff. I was going to say the same. Actually there are lots of things that can be cheap yet tasty.

Rice is cheap (get Basmati rice not the uncle bens crap)

Beans and Lentils and such are cheap and packed with nutrients

Eggplants can be grilled and if done right are pretty tasty and still kinda cheap

Sometimes certain squash can go great in food or even almost like a desert since they are sweet. They are good for you as well and not expensive.

Meat can be used in smaller quantities when cooking...put it more as something to add flavour instead of being the actual food.

Potatoes are cheap so you can do baked potatoes once in a while

Eggs are pretty cheap and have lots of nutrition but dont have it very often. Maybe 1-2 times a week. I sometimes make a really good omellete for dinner

Soups and stews end up being pretty cheap

Chili is fantastic and if you use lean meats, can be very healthy

Pasta is cheap but refined white flour is not a great thing so I'd say dont have it all too often.

I find that fish is reasonably priced and if you grill it or bake it, will be tasty and healthy.

....so I agree with TacticalKaos...cook it at home and shop smartly and if you have a freezer, pack the unused in there and if it doesnt thaw so nicely, it can alwys be used in soups or stews.... :)

TacticalKaos said:
If you're cooking at home you can eat pretty damn cheap by buying what's on sale and planning ahead. Starches are cheap as hell and if you buy stuff in bulk you're good. You can get a big ass thing of good chicken breasts for like 6 or 7 bucks. Just write a list for the whole week, stick to it and buy the stuff on sale. You'll use it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread