How do/did you study?

nhancedsvt

Established Member
Well I'm taking a break from studying for my chemistry mid-term and I was just interested to see how most of you guys study or did study? Me, I lock myself in a room somewhere, get jacked up on energy drinks, play music and stay up all night. I'm having to teach myself how to study so I'm still not sure if this is the best way but it works for now! Let me hear what you guys do so I can see if something else might work better for me!:banana::banana::banana:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Eh. If I felt I needed to study I'd go outside and study. Somewhere without my laptop or cell phone.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I take notes from the weekly reading and scan into the computer, then I supplement those notes with lecture notes. I start reviewing that compilation about two weeks before finals. We only have finals.

nhancedsvt

Established Member
I've tried the studying a week ahead of time doing a little along but those are the tests I always do bad on. College is definately different than high school. I was top of my class in HS and never studied but now I have to bust my butt just to pass! Oh well I guess it's one of those things that gets better with practice... I hope!

aaandht

Established Member
I've tried the studying a week ahead of time doing a little along but those are the tests I always do bad on. College is definately different than high school. I was top of my class in HS and never studied but now I have to bust my butt just to pass! Oh well I guess it's one of those things that gets better with practice... I hope!

+1

bnd3672

Established Member
I write down what I feel is important or will likely be on the test in class, make sure I understand the principles behind it before the exam, and it works.

Note the difference between memorizing what has been said in class and understanding the principles behind it.

This slightly depends on the subject, but some things still apply.

Buff03svt

Established Member
I usually just read over my class notes as soon as possible once a day until it came time to take the test. Cramming never really worked for me.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Cramming worked for me. One thing I also did was re-write all the notes I took. This might not work in chem but in other classes it was a good way to remember the subject matter.

bugmenot

Established Member
You should not stay up all night studying, as your brain does not then have the time to actually memorize the information. The best way to study is in chunks. Ideally what you should be doing is reading the information BEFORE going to class. You don't have to read every page, just look over the pages, try and understand the basics, or have an idea of what they are. This allows you to see it before your teacher goes over it, that way you are able to focus on the details, not the whole picture. Go home, do the hw and read over the chapter again. If you know you are going to have a big test coming up, start studying at least a week in advanced. Study for an hour to an hour an half, take a break, do it again. During the break try and think about what you just studied, and see what you have problems with. If you did the reading the information twice, you should find that you no longer have to study for as long. You put a little more effort in throughout the semester, but are a lot less stressed, and will tend to do better. The night before the final or test, try and go over the things you did not understand after the reading. Get to bed, wake up and eat.

Though that may seem like a lot of work, if you force yourself to do it for awhile, you will get into the habit, and it will become a kind of second nature. You should be a lot less stressed, and will find you have more time to do the things you want. I know that before I made myself do this, there would be a ton of wasted time during the day. It is during that time you study and do the reading, then at night and the weekends you can do what you want.

EDIT: I used to be the person that never studied, so started with bad study habits, and slowly developed these. Took me about a semester to do it.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I work example problems. Tons of them. Teachers post old exam and homework solutions in most of my classes (Mechanical Engineering) so a few days before the test I just work through problems. I had a controls test yesterday, my prep was working through 4 old tests. Think I did ok. I made sure to take a lot of breaks, if I work too long it stops sticking and I'm just wasting my time.

CobraKalas

Established Member
study for 15-20 minutes, then take a break for 10-15 minutes doing whatever. and repeat. works great so your mind doesnt get over crammed and while your on your break the info you studied kinda soaks in

Whizzle

Established Member
I usually force myself to stay in the library doing all homework and old tests starting a week before the exam. It seems to work for me most of the time. I usually study until Im just sick of it

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
If it weren't for this room, i'd still be in college. It's where I got most of my reading done.
Vienna_II_EL_toliet.jpg

*Read at night, drink some coffee w/ sweet n low, regular sugar puts you to sleep.
*Don't date. Masturbate- It's hard to read about Hesiod while you have in the back of your mind what your chick said when she said, "It's not the same anymore."
*Taking notes while you read helps you retain info and helps to study the days before a test.
*Memorize stuff and apply yourself-this is college-it's your money being wasted
*High School is over- Staying home on Friday and Saturday to study is cool otherwise prepare to be on the 10-year plan
*Doesn't hurt to read stuff 3 times if you have to

I had more but I forgot, the main thing is to motivate yourself by saying. I'm in school right now and because of what I do will have a good job tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I always just re-wrote all my lecture notes with my book handy. That way if there was stuff I didn't understand the concept behind it, I could re-read it and add my own notes. Unless it was like for Anatomy, which is 100% memorization. Then I just re-wrote my notes over and over. Drew and colored a lot of my own pictures of the body too. Seemed to help.

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
Since I commuted to school I would always go early or staff after and study in the library. I could never study at home since I would be in my room and end up watching a movie or go on my computer.

Calypso Vert

Established Member
I would go through lecture notes and rewrite everything so that all important concepts were organized on 3-4 pieces of paper. If there was something I didn't understand I would look it up and add appropriate notes to my 3-4 page summarized version. It was much easier for me to study from 3-4 pages crammed full of info than 10-15 pages of random class notes.

Users who are viewing this thread