How dirty is dirty?

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Well, had a friend come over and claybar my truck, after 18 months of down time. The whole trucj took 3 bars to do. Going to take some shots of it tommorrow, it was raining and we didnt want to pull it out of the shop. It looks spectacular. CLAYBAR ROCKS lol

I hate to sound stupid but detailing is just not something I've ever really given much thought to. What exactly is a claybar for?

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I hate to sound stupid but detailing is just not something I've ever really given much thought to. What exactly is a claybar for?
I had no idea what claybar did, until today. It basically is like usuing something that is 100 times finer that wet sanding to smooth out swirls and take off oxidation. Its a piece of some kind of clay with a lubricant. After today, i swear by that stuff

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
Mother's makes a clay bar kit. Here is how my truck came out.

IMG_4187.gif

Screaming01L said:
I had no idea what claybar did, until today. It basically is like usuing something that is 100 times finer that wet sanding to smooth out swirls and take off oxidation. Its a piece of some kind of clay with a lubricant. After today, i swear by that stuff

Forgive my ignorance but is there a technique thats used to rub in on the car? Do you rub it like you would an eraser on a paper? Do you allow it to sit on the surface for a while before rubbing it off? Do you ahve to wash the car afterwards?

02true blue L

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Forgive my ignorance but is there a technique thats used to rub in on the car? Do you rub it like you would an eraser on a paper? Do you allow it to sit on the surface for a while before rubbing it off? Do you ahve to wash the car afterwards?
I try to go up and down and side to side with it, small sections at a time, and buff dry as i go.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
well, you kinda flatten out the clay, spray a small section of the truck with the "lube stuff" and then rub the clay on it.

ecoastkid

Established Member
You have to wax it after tho...it removes all traces of your previous wax and your truck will be totally uprotected....Its amazing what it does to bring the paint out and get rid of swirls and such.

Stewie 03

Established Member
Screaming01L said:

Actually, a clay bar does not remove swirls and oxidation. It does remove most all contaminants that could ever attach themselves to your vehicle's paint. It it the step BEFORE polishing in the detailing process. Polish is what is used to remove swirls and oxidation on your vehicle's paint. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it is very important to apply some sort of protection (i.e. polish, wax, glaze) after using the clay as it removes it entirely. I also strongly recommend using some kind of spray wax if you don't buy a kit that has some type of lubricant in it. Some folks use the water that is left on the vehicle after they wash it. I have tried both and don't feel water is as effective due to it's high surface tension but to each his own.

If interested, check out the Show and Shine Saloon on this site for tons of info on detailing your ride.

Post up some pics so we can see the new shine!

Lightning Steve

Established Member
I was a huge skeptic over the whole clay bar thing, till I tried it.
Did the whole truck but the roof (ya lazy), when it came to putting on wax and polishing, everywhere was super smooth and easy except the roof. Very noticable differance.
When doing the clay bar I just used the Mr Clean thing with soap and water, sprayed on soap and water, clayed a small area (2' x 2'), then rinse.

j0hn

Established Member
I spent about 6 hours last week doing claybar, polishing compound, then waxing my truck.

It's amazing what that stuff can do.

L.jpg

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
1 bar can do about 3 cars your buddy doesnt know how to clay bar a car
Thats exactly what he said. Its just Even after 2 washes it was a total mess. he showed me each bar before it was thrown away and the bar was toast, you could see the stuff (swirls of dirt) in the clay.. I never knew white could get so dirty. It was a bear getting the pollen/sap stain from those stupid water oaks off too

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
You need to knead/fold the clay as it gets dirty to keep exposing clean clay. Half of a clay bar will easily do one application. ;) You can use your mix of Gold Class soap and water while washing instead of the quick detailer so you can save the quick detailer for your finish up. Just wash a panel, rinse, re-apply some clean soapy water from your mit, and then clay and rinse all in one step.

Got shine?

Ultimate_Detailer_Wipe_Down.jpg

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I still can't figure out how you can use three bars on one vehicle. The worst vehicle I ever detailed was a work truck with a sealer outfit in the back and the truck had oil based sealer mist all over it (white truck too) and also had a ton of tree sap from being parked under a tree and I only used a half a clay bar on it! It was a full size four door Chevy. The only sense I can make is the vehicle wasn't washed before claying or the clay wasn't continuously folded/kneaded as you clayed? :shrug:

Last edited:

Banned
The truck may have been really full of contaminents and the bar have gotten dirty and switched to a new bar. You can only fold it so many times before you have to toss it. The bars in those kits are not the greatest IMO.

Don't drop it:nono:

Users who are viewing this thread