How Difficult is a Gear Change on '01 Cobra

smokedbystang

Established Member
Just a quick question to some of you that have put gears in your cobra. How long did it take? Estimate of price if a shop does it?

I am going with 4.10's. I think that is a good gear for the '01 Cobra. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Ken

SVTNICK

Established Member
750 - 800 around here in NJ. Then you need a calibration unit like the speed cal, OR you can get a chip. Speed cal is 100 chip runs between 200 and 400.

Daniel Moran

Established Member
Anderson Ford in Clinton,Il quoted me $1000 for 01 Cobra gear install which includes gearset of choice, labor, and speedo recal module. They said it would be a 2 day job. This was about 6 months ago. Performance Plus in Madison, WI gave me a quote that was a couple hundred cheeper as I recall but he torches and rewelds a crossmember to access the gear. The Ford dealer drops the entire rear suspension assy.

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
Originally posted by smokedbystang
Just a quick question to some of you that have put gears in your cobra. How long did it take? Estimate of price if a shop does it?

I am going with 4.10's. I think that is a good gear for the '01 Cobra. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Ken
IRS takes about 2 to 3 hours longer than a solid axle, since you have to remove your exhaust, pull your wheel hubs and drop the pumpkin. About 6 to 6 1/2 hours total if you have done it before and have a shop press handy. An all day job if it is your first time and you have to make a trip to the machine shop to get the pinion bearing pressed off/on.

It is not that difficult and with the prices quoted in this thread ($800 or more -- way too much, IMO), you could buy your own shop press, do it yourself and still save a ton of money!

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS, road race suspension and hot weather.
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!
side1a.jpg
engine1a.jpg
coilover1b.jpg

Exterior - larger view || -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Chassis/Suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

http://www.svttexas.com

blackfang

Established Member
When i had my 99 Cobra. I was in San Antonio and had Mike Murillo's texas Jam do it for 700 bucks total. I slipped the mechanic a 100 to do it in 1 day. He worked from morning and finished around early to mid afternoon.

smokedbystang

Established Member
Thanks everyone. It did not look like a quick install. I know a few good shops around here, so I'll see what they want to charge. at least now, I have some estimates.

svt- I live in Central Florida, so when you are ready to talk about where you can have it done for $250 let me know. LOL!! Thanks

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread