how critical is heat with FI?

sixt5

Established Member
im currently operating a powder coating business and expanding to caramics. i have access to a thermal barrier for inside of headers:

insulkote1.jpg

those are ceramic coated with the thermal barrier on the inside (full coated).

thing is, the stuff isnt cheap. but its proven to reduce heat by the HUNDREDS of degrees. At what point would spending the money be worth it to the consumer?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
in a supercharged application, maybe it's ignorance but I wouldn't think that exhaust temp would matter at all after it's leaves the heads; especially with proper scavenging. In turbo applications however it could make a difference. Depending on how expensive it is- I would think there would be a market for it- maybe not from the guys that just get "full exhaust" but maybe from road racers etc.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I would agree with Encased on this. Then there will always be the guys that just have the money to do it, and the guys that will do it just to say it is there. I would think you could make a decent market with this and all the other coating you do.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
long tubes are a the major contributor to engine bay heat, so coating is definitely a good option to helping keep everything cooler

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
how expensive are you talking?

Swain Tech's white lightning external ceramic coating runs somewhere around 350-400 when you factor in shipping both ways

sixt5

Established Member
sandblasting and doing outside only of a set of long tubes run 250. shorties around 200ish.

im figuring an extra 125ish for the internal thermal barrier

sixt5

Established Member
yes. its made to handle the hotter temps and designed to be totally smooth to allow gasses to exit easier.

im hearing its good for 2k degrees

Users who are viewing this thread